• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bloated bunny?!

Alexlee97

New Kit
Anyone please advise me.
Im new here so apologies if Im not doing anything properly...

My Male adult lop Harry has stopped eating, drinking and pooing and hes not the friendly bun he usually is, hes just lay down and wont move much :(
I think he may be bloated and i syringe fed him some water before because I was worried and I really dont know what else to do- I cant go to the vet now! My other rabbit, Lexi is fine and is being herself.

HELP?!

I'm sorry about your bunny but I'm afraid if he's not eating drinking etc he needs to see a vet ASAP preferably TONIGHT bunnys go downhill real fast without food or water :cry:

Hi Alexlee.. Welcome to the forum....

Sorry to hear your bunny isnt well... As wendle said, i would get him to a vet as soon as possible... M bunny died after 12 hours of not eating or drinking,, I didnt act soon enough and have lived to regret it ever since

Fee xxx

Sorry its taken me ages to log back in :/

I cant take him to the vet now even if I wanted to :( Ive managed to give him some more water and he took it from me so that was good...
He is in pain though and I hate seeing him like this. I have some metacam- thats a painkiller I think. Do think it would do any good to give him some maybe? When my mum gets back tomorrow I will see what she thinks about the vet or pdsa
Thanks for the response

Its not open now and the other one is in Kirkham which is just under an hour away. My dads with us on mondays and he doesnt have a clue about this stuff... I'd need my mum and vets at this time would be really expensive and my mums been made redundant so I cant stress her out with expensive vet fees.I love Harry and I wish vets werent so expensive but I'll just have to monitor him and wait till tomorrow I think :/

someone with more experience will no doubt come along but good luck.. I hope your wee bunny gets through the night... The very best of luck..

metacam is a painkiller but i am unsure of dosages.. hope someone can advise..

good luck
fee xxx

someone with more experience will no doubt come along but good luck.. I hope your wee bunny gets through the night... The very best of luck..

metacam is a painkiller but i am unsure of dosages.. hope someone can advise..

good luck
fee xxx

I really hope so :( Thank you and I'm hoping so too.
Well I know how much I should give him, Im just unsure if I should or not...
Ive seen that you can use stuff to treat wind for babies on rabbits? I dont have any of that stuff but if it works I could get some maybe

Thanks for your help Fee

When did Harry last eat and poo? Is his stomach visibly swollen? Bloat can kill in hours, I've lost a bunny to bloat :cry: Is there no way your dad can drive you to the vets? Can you phone them to ask for advice at least? Hope you can find a way to help Harry xx

I'm so sorry Harry's poorly, you must be very worried. :(

Metacam's a prescription medicine, so you would need to consult a vet to ask if it's ok to give him some tonight as we're not qualified to advise, sorry. :( Would you or your dad be able to ring the vet tonight? They'll be closed but they'll be able to take emergency calls and will be able to give you some advice over the phone at least for now and may be able to assess how urgently he needs to be seen.

sorry your bunny is ill. this does sound like an emergency though and i would also go to the vets asap. could you get your dad to drive you, and don't tell them you can't pay until after? immoral maybe yes, but this could save his life. say you forgot your card etc in the panic/upset. i wouldn't normally suggest this but for this situation he really may not make it. :cry: they couldn't do anything if you haven't got the money, just contact you afterwards?? they would rather set up a payment plan than not get anything at all. it's all i can think of. unless your dad can lend you the money?

we can't tell you about the metacam but i do keep metacam at home all the time just incase, but i have had the vets say so to do this and know the doses etc. if it really came down to it, you would have to decide if you think he really needs it.

hm...too bad...
well, all you can do is syringe feed a little every 2 hours , give water, and rub the bunny's belly for 15 minutes every 2 hours again. At least that's the recommendation I got when my bunny had this. Make it move but do not stress it too much as well

Yeah but if its a blockage and she won't no unless the vet checks bunnys tum it causes more damage feeding them :cry:

Any news? Metacam is great but you need to give it for the right illness, so need to know what's wrong first.

I really hope this little bunny is OK.

simethicone

I'm experiencing the same thing with my rabbit just now. Was told to give him simethicone liquid, for babies (human) with gas-issues. A person also sent me this link on how to massage a bunny-belly: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Goodness, I hope both our rabbits will get well.

Did the vet give your bunny any meds to help

I've not been to the vet, he's only been poorly (refusing to eat even treats) for a few hours and now he's eating again and he just pooped, so perhaps he'll be ok, otherwise I'll take him to the vet, they're open 24/7 and he has insurance and my mother is here so she can drive us. I've given simethicone now and we're watching him closely.

I've not been to the vet, he's only been poorly (refusing to eat even treats) for a few hours and now he's eating again and he just pooped, so perhaps he'll be ok, otherwise I'll take him to the vet, they're open 24/7 and he has insurance and my mother is here so she can drive us. I've given simethicone now and we're watching him closely.

I have also heard that simethicone is very helpful in such situations

Back