• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Bunny and son with Asthma/Allergies

zolscody

New Kit
Hello Everyone :)
We just got our new bunny Yofie today. She is a seven month old black satin (is my guess). I previously had a Holland Lop for 10 years that passed away last May. Needless to say I was heartbroken. Almost a year later I finally convinced my husband to allow another rabbit in the house. I also have a six year old son. He is allergic to dogs and cats but never had any issues with our previous bunny. His asthma is primarily when he gets sick with a cold. Now every time he coughs or itches something I freak out he's having a reaction. I grew up with dogs and can't imagine life without an animal. But of course my son comes first of course. Anyone with asthma/allergies and have bunnies?

Thanks!!!

I have asthma.
When I was younger I was allergic to most types of animal fur, particularly dogs and horses.
Bubbies were never really a problem and I have 6 now.
hay does tend to set of some allergies though but its easy to get around.
Just make sure he washes his hands after handling and even if he is a allergic hell be washing off the allergens so it'll help stop the reaction.
Obviously don't let him handle the bun till he's older, I always take a wee allergic reaction when I get a scratch, same with cats as well.
Bunnies can be wriggly!! :lol:

Hi there zolscody, welcome to the forum :D:wave: Congratulations on your new bun! Is she an indoor or outdoor lass? Warning in advance that you will be pestered for pics :lol:

I believe there are quite a few members who have allergies to their buns, although I think the problems are normally with the hay rather than the actual rabbit! But as rabbits and hay come as a package that's not really avoidable. There are members who use long gloves and take an antihistamine before handling their buns to avoid the negative effects, so it is possible to get around it if the worst should happen. As it's normally the hay that sets it off, keeping that as tidy as possible may also help. :wave:

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your lop last year, everyone here knows how close these wee critters get to your heart. We have a section called Rainbow Bridge where we post tributes to our lost pets if you would like to add something for her. :)

yes, me and my two boys all have allergies. I suspect we are more allergic to the hay than the buns and piggies we have in the house. We take Loratadine daily, but I also have a filtrete system, which is amazing at pulling dust & pet dander (highest CADR rating I could find) ..we have to learn to live along side our allergies...otherwise we would have to find a place to live where there would be no trees or flowers or grass, dust or house dust mite, birds etc etc. I am allergic ro nature...but it isn't going to stop me!

Yep allergies here, we have 4 cats, 2 of them always sleep on our bed. then the 2 rabbits outside.

My hubby takes antihistamines, nasel spray and has 3 different asthma inhalers, he also takes local honey daily as its not just pet fur hes allergic to.

I do try to keep the fluff at bay, but he knows how important my fluffies are to me and as he would need the meds for other allergys too we seem to be ok.

I have asthma and I am allergic to my rabbits hay. I get reactions on and off but I get sometimes be quite bad. To be honest it doesn't affect my breathing just my hay fever. Xx

Hello and welcome to RU zolscody.:wave:

I've no experience with allergies and or asthma so cannot answer your question, sorry.

I hope you enjoy being on RU..............we're all bunny mad!!!:thumb::D

Thanks everyone! My son really doesn't handle the bun very much and if he does he washes his hands. He's also on a daily inhaler to help minimize his asthma. I can't help thinking if I'm being selfish having our bun. His allergist would kill me if he knew. We also have a mega air filter built into our heater/ac to help purify the air. I also use Orchard Grass hay, I always have, and I read that helps keep down allergies more then Timothy hay. I do have to say that Yofie seems so laid back.

I have allergies and am allergic to dogs (I have 2) buns (I have 5) and guinea pigs ( I have three!) after being exposed for a few weeks my symptoms all but disappear. I'm still getting a little skin irritation handling the guinea pigs but they've only been with us a few weeks so I expect that to all bit disappear soon. After spending a year at UNI with no dogs in the house I really suffered going home for the first week but I find I develop improved immunity quickly. Hopefully your son will be the same!

Hi there, I have asthma and quite bad allergies (pets/dust/pollens). I just take antihistamine everyday all year, and steroids for my asthma and never have any problems handling my pets or messing with hay and straw

Hello Everyone :)
We just got our new bunny Yofie today. She is a seven month old black satin (is my guess). I previously had a Holland Lop for 10 years that passed away last May. Needless to say I was heartbroken. Almost a year later I finally convinced my husband to allow another rabbit in the house. I also have a six year old son. He is allergic to dogs and cats but never had any issues with our previous bunny. His asthma is primarily when he gets sick with a cold. Now every time he coughs or itches something I freak out he's having a reaction. I grew up with dogs and can't imagine life without an animal. But of course my son comes first of course. Anyone with asthma/allergies and have bunnies?

Thanks!!!

Hi, my hubby has really bad pet allergies...dogs...& even worse with cats. We have a mini lop & she is an outdoor bun so in the winter grows in really thick fur & in spring /summer sheds like crazy! In fact she pulls her fur out & makes nests with it! My hubby has never had a sniffle from her...in fact his downfall is the hay! Lol! x

I have asthma and allergies. I'm allergic to pretty much every kind of animal (cats, dogs, wool, mohair, alpaca... everything that knows what an animal is really), but I'm not allergic to bunnies. The hay sets off my asthma and my eczema/allergies so I go and wash my hands and face after I mess with it, and I take more of my preventer inhaler (when I remember anyway) and a nasal spray, and they have to be outdoor bunnies though. I'm lucky! I take antihistamines if I'm having a bad allergy day but as long as I remember the inhaler things are alright.

I hope everything settles soon! :wave:

Some bedding sets me off. I've found hempcore bedding the best for asthma, my mum usually has a reaction when I cleaned my animals out and I've had one on different beddings (megazorb, carefresh) but when I switched it she didn't need her inhalar (even when I kick her out she still needs a puff when she comes home) So might be worth a try.

Mr Snowdrop I'm allerhic to, infact I have my asthma cough right now as I put him to bed this eve, OH usually deals with Mr Snowdrop. I also have a very bad reaction to the straw as I have a gluten issuevsnd straw tends to be barley.
I have 2 other buns and am fine with them, fine with my sisters two buns and every other bunny I have met so far lol

Back