• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For pig lovers.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Gigi-
IMG_4375853x1280.jpg

Scarlett (one of my all time favourite pictures).
IMG_44161280x853.jpg

Kenny-
029-3.jpg

Wilbur-
086.jpg

Olive-
IMG_47231280x906.jpg

Kerry-
017.jpg

Patsy-
088.jpg

Louise filled one of my wishes last year was to meet a pig in the flesh and I got to stroke some of these lovley animals and I can tell you they dont feel what you think they would be but I still love them and hope to meet them again in the summer

Awwww...look at those happy faces! :) They are so content!
My daughter always loved piggies as a young child. She got a real surprise when her first grade class took a field trip to the local U and went through their animal husbandry area and she saw how HYOOOGE they are as adults! :lol:
Now do they have any trouble with straw getting into their ears and causing problems, as can happen with bunnies if they get hay seed pods in and stuff? That shot of Scarlett with all that straw on her face...precious!
We used to get huge straw bales to help keep our outdoor dogs warm and I was constantly having to pick it out of sensitive areas. :(

I also thought of guinea pigs! They're lovely :love::love: - how lucky they are to have ended up at Halfpenny Farm

Awwww...look at those happy faces! :) They are so content!
My daughter always loved piggies as a young child. She got a real surprise when her first grade class took a field trip to the local U and went through their animal husbandry area and she saw how HYOOOGE they are as adults! :lol:
Now do they have any trouble with straw getting into their ears and causing problems, as can happen with bunnies if they get hay seed pods in and stuff? That shot of Scarlett with all that straw on her face...precious!
We used to get huge straw bales to help keep our outdoor dogs warm and I was constantly having to pick it out of sensitive areas. :(

Gigi has a couple of episodes of hard tilt, although we don't think it is due to hay in her ears. Although she is the biggest pig, she is a commercially breed and they are not very long lived, my vets think she may have picked up an infection that is common in commercial pig which weakens their immune system ( comes from the mother, so no risk to the other pigs). The do not think Gigi will live to be very old and already we have nearly lost her twice, as well as her having the head tilts. She is not easy to treat at all and even when poorly can run much faster than humans.
So, I have never know of hay being a problem for going in pigs ears but I guess it could happen.

I'm sorry to hear Gigi has such health problems. :( It was hard enough dealing with Mimzy having head tilt, I cannot imagine treating a pig with it. :shock:
She has the best chance at a happy life with you though. This is incredible work you do for all these animals. :)

I LOVE pigs...and yours are just gorgeous...:love::love::love:

It is a dream of mine one day to have pigs - I just think they are superb...I've always wanted pigs, but as my mum used to say "little pigs grow into big pigs" - very true:roll: so need to have the space to have them.

One day....:thumb:...in the mean time I will just have to drool over yours...:D

Back