• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

0lder bunny itchy ear advice

iggyperdyandme

Alpha Buck
Hi all

My older bunny iggy has been scratching his ear alot and i wondered if anyone has any ideas what it could be?

He has seen a vet who said its not mites or an infection. And she couldnt find a medical cause. He has been doing it for a few months off and on (he has seen vet more than once too and she is very good).

His teeth are fine too. He is 8.5 now and a house bunny.

At first i thought it might be trauma of losing his friend but he now has a new friend and still is itching it.

He mainly itches the tip.

He has no other symptoms and is eating drinking etc etc -no weight change . I am puzzled.

Has anyone had a bunny do anything similar?

Hi,very strange!My bun had the same but that was an infection very deep in the ear and very mild so almost missed.Are there any other symptoms at all,either physical of behavioural?

Hi,very strange!My bun had the same but that was an infection very deep in the ear and very mild so almost missed.Are there any other symptoms at all,either physical of behavioural?

None at all. Its really puzzling!

Vet checked him over and said no sign of infection. She had a good check a couple of times now. Might be worth another check though.

Do you think it could be grief? He lost his friend over the summer but has a new friend now (he was getting lonely).

I've no answer to your question, sorry, but it could well be grief related.

Have you thought of getting a little soft toy, bunny friendly that is, for company for your bunny. Something safe to snuggle to and perhaps even groom. Worth a try.

Best of luck. x:thumb:

Ive found that sometimes buns just get into strange habits with no obvious reason:?If the vet can find nothing and your bun is doing no harm to itself and is otherwise ok then maybe its just "a bunny thing"which we humans just wouldnt understand!!Puzzling though

Back