• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hydrotherapy

I guess it very much depends on temperament, but for most rabbits I can't see them enjoying it at all. Unfortunately rabbits can't really show that they don't like it... The life jacket certainly helps, but it looks like her nose is very close to the waterline. She needs to be supported for the entire time she's in the pool, just like she was for a few seconds at the start. My friends dog had hydrotherapy and she was supported all the time.

I think if it works and doesn't cause distress to the bunny then why not.

There are lots of alternative therapys I wouldn't put my own rabbits through, including wheel carts, but if others want to and are confident about the welfare of their own animal then I don't see why not.

Julie has arthritis in her hips. Her pain meds seem to be working to make her comfortable but she is have more trouble hopping even on her mat but I know that she would hate hydrotherapy even if it helped her arthritis.

I don't know how i feel about it to be fair. Although it is nice to see that an owner is doing everything they can to try and improve the quality of life for their rabbit which is refreshing to see.
To be fair, I have put Lucy through hell this week by syringe feeding her, administering approx 5 different drugs, applying eye drops etc and she hated every minute but it was necessary. If we all thought, I can't do that, it would upset my rabbit then we wouldn't administer drugs and nurse them when ill because they got stressed.
My meaning, if it is in the best interest of the rabbit then I don't see a massive problem but obviously it is not ideal for every rabbit. By the sounds of it the owner thought they would try it, thinking the rabbit would hate it but because it didn't seem too bothered and it appeared to help they continued.
Being in the veterinary field, I would need to look in to it further to form a better understanding and opinion to be honest.

That seems like an unusual thing to do for a rabbit :?

I understand its exhausting too- my parents german shepherd was exhausted when he started with just a short swim and a hefty life jacket and support- I'm not sure it would be a go to for one of my rabbits. They don't really swim like dogs do do they?!

Iggy has arthritis and i hate seeing him in pain. The bunny doesnt seem too bothered by the whole affair and if it helps, it cant be too bad.

Jenzel5, i said the same when i first read it. Iggy hates having his claws clipped and my perdy hated her medication with a passion. If it improves quality of life then it might be worth a shot.

Having said that, im not going to be taking him to the local pool anytime soon for a quick dip. He he

I can imagine Sonic loving this :lol: I reckon as long as you introduce them slowly and supervise them at all times they should be ok... I see what you mean about the nose being quite close to the water. Rabbits don't really have necks to keep their faces out of the water...

I have a young disabled rabbit that I would love to try that with. Hazel is a confident little character and is responding well to physio but I bet swimming would be really good for her. Sadly the bath isn't quite big enough. I once used hydrotherapy (in the bath) to great effect on a guinea pig left unable to walk after a caesarian. I won't say she liked the experience but she certainly liked it when she was able to walk again. I don't see that it would be worse for a rabbit, at least not for a confident one.

Stripes had a form of Hydrotherapy to try and help her with muscle wastage. She loved it :love:

Back