• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

gut stasis happening at particular times of year?

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Honey is currently at the vet school again due to her bi-annual gut stasis episode. She always seems to suffer from it in March time and then again in October/Novemeber. For a while she suffered at other times as well but since changing her diet a couple of years ago she's only ever had it at these particular times of year.

The vet is baffled but I was wondering if anyone might know of a reason why this always happens at the same time each year.

Could it be moult related? Either her or a bun that she lives with and grooms? If she has access to the garden could it be something she eats only at that time of year or maybe due to the composition of a plant that she eats all year but actually isn't the same at different times of year? I'm no garden expert so have no idea how plausible the plant composition suggestion might be.

We always wondered if it was something to do with the grass but she's been confined to the shed this spring so hasn't had access to the garden. Moulting might be the cause of it though but she has lived with 3 other rabbits in the time she's had it.

We had a thread on this a couple of years ago it was really interesting! I think Donnamt did a poll and the summer months were definitely the most stasis free! It was also suggested that the fluctuating temperatures upsets buns and there was a lot of talk about the supermarket veg being washed in strongly chlorinated water to help preserve them better through the winter! I also think the quality varies as well! One of my friends buns seems to be affected when we've had unusually strong winds!

Floppy had stasis during a heavy winter moult.. Seems a lot of bunnies are having problems just now !!! You could be right.

Fee x

I seem to have more episodes of stasis during moults, particularly when they start moulting their winter coats.

I've had Saffy ill this week, perfectly fine at breakfast on Monday, but not eating and looking very uncomfortable at teatime. It happens so very quickly. Nothing has changed in her diet or environment, but this last week there has been loads of fluff and hair in their kennel and run and I've been finding poos which are strung together. She lives with her two siblings and they all groom each other. She's better now, but it's been another worrying week.

I get very nervous at this time of year. :(

We asked the vet if she thought it was something to do with Honey's moult but she reckons that usually you see hair being passed and so far Honey hasn't been doing that.

She came home this time after a night in the vet school but stopped eating again a couple of days later and she was still on meds at the time. She was taken back to the vet with Jack yesterday and the vet school seperates them between midnight and 8.30am to monitor her output so this is going to be playing havoc with their bonding. :(

When one of mine gets stasis it almost always coincides with them moulting.
Obviously ingesting hair is a big factor, but I also think that moulting generally uses quite a lot of energy and takes it out of them a bit. Mine definatly get more quiet during their moults.

Back