• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scanning

weedug

Mama Doe
What causes a bun to sit and slowly move its head back and forth, keeping it at the same level? Is this scanning, and if so what causes it?

Bun was sat still at the time, apart from his head moving from side to side. And the head was obviously moving, not just a little.

My bunnies do that,weedug, usually when periscoping!!! I thought like you, they were surveying as seeing whats going on ?

Pearl used to do it. She had red eyes and apparently they do not work as well as normal eyes hence the need to scan.

Scanning is normally associated with poor eyesight.

To me it looks like they are trying to get their depth perception right, but that is just what it looks like to me!

I've never seen a bun do this before. Mine periscope and gaze around, but not sweeping from side to side, back and forward without stopping, like this bun.

Bun had red eyes, and moved his head from side to side before moving off. I didn't see him moving much though, so don't know if he was walking into things.

Even blind bunnies rarely walk into things in their own environment. Even fully sighted normal bunnies find their way around by an internal map, & if panicked can forget the map & run into things.
Also normally sighted buns have a huge visual field extending both above & behind them but there is very little overlap of the image so it's mainly 2D with little appreciation of distance - more like our peripheral vision.
When I 1st got Benjie he had bad snuffles & was head bobbing (rapid up & down movements) all the time, & periscoping a lot. This continued until his snuffles improved, & he hardly does it now.
I suspect that he was trying to compensate for loss of sense of smell (big danger warning) & possibly reduced hearing by getting more 3D vision by head bobbing.

Isn't it fascinating that we live in the same world but percieve it very differently through different senses?

iv found its usually poorly sighted bunnies that do it i had a semi blind bun that used to and a rew that used to my coco funnily doesnt do it and he has severe cateracts he knows his enviroment adn doesnt bump into things though now he is older we do have to watch out for moving things around too much xxx

Back