• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you use bedding for outdoor buns?

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
I have a trio outdoors. Big six foot hutch with run attached, the usual.

I tried putting like you know, bedding stuff, on the floor of the hutch, but most of it ends up being kicked down to the run, or kicked about, leaving bit empty patches. And too be honest, I wouldn't fancy walking about on that hard bitty stuff.

If I put hay in their 'bedroom' for warmth, they just trample it in minutes so it is useless haha.

So I just cleaned them out and put in a litter tray, hoping to litter train them to make them more rehomeable (fosters).

They snuggle up together for warmth, so is there really any need for 'bedding'?

how well insulated is the hutch? I find that mine either drag bedding out of their bed area or use it as a toilet so I've made a sort of insulated area in my shed that stays pretty warm, especially with them inside.
If you could find a cardboard box or plastic tub (with ventilation holes) a little smaller than the bed area you could put that in, and stuff the space between the box and bed area with straw. That should help to keep that area quite warm.

ETA: although they trample the hay in their bedroom, as long as they're not peeing on it they can still burrow in to it to snuggle up if they want, so I would keep it.

Last edited:
Mine used to, but they just dug it all out so they had blankets/cat beds in bed areas and hay in the litter tray.

Now they're in the shed they have a run shelter house with their cat bed and blankets in and litter tray in their 'hay corner' so it's all in one place :)

how well insulated is the hutch? I find that mine either drag bedding out of their bed area or use it as a toilet so I've made a sort of insulated area in my shed that stays pretty warm, especially with them inside.
If you could find a cardboard box or plastic tub (with ventilation holes) a little smaller than the bed area you could put that in, and stuff the space between the box and bed area with straw. That should help to keep that area quite warm.

Hmm that is a good idea! You can get quite bit plastic boxes now can't you? Will give it a try. Think they'll be ok for now though, aside from sitting on top of a huge pile of hay, they haven't had any more insulation since they arrived here about 2 weeks ago.

They do pee all over it. That's why I am trying to litter train them (as of today). Litter training 3 boys. Going to be hard!

Back