• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you need to change feed as rabbits get older?

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
My rabbits are nearly six. Recently I've noticed Leon does a mixture of normal poos and lumps of soft mushy poos. I've had to wipe his bum a few times which isnt like him. He's still eating fine and acting normal in every other way.

We used to give him a small piece of fruit every other day but we stopped doing that thinking that was the reason but looks like its not. Going to the vet soon to get nails clipped so will mention it.

I feed them science selective (have done for years) - should I change their feed?

The runny bottom could be a number of things.

I have never changed the diet of my older buns, my eldest lived to 9 and I currently have a bunny of 7 and not had any problems. I do have a bunny of 2 and a half and he does on occasion get a tiny bit of runny poo and some stucks to his bottom. I don't feed him any fruit and only gets a small slice of carrot every now and then. The only fresh food he gets is dill and basil, which doesn't seem to cause a problem.

Good luck at the vets, they may have a better idea.

Back