• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

another hay 4 pets mouldy bale

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
i had one a while back and now another one. it feels greasy and i felt down into the bale and it feels warm and the bottom of the bag was wet. really paranoid now getting this.

it's the soft meadow hay. has anyone else had any problems?

i think it's the delivery people not taking care with them to be honest, as that has happened in the past. but could just be the hay and i've been unlucky.

now have no soft hay for maisie piggy :(

I'm having issues too with the Ings, its not mouldy or anything but its so yellow and straw like :?

Unfortunately I don't think ill be ordering from them anytime soon - I have found suppliers of excellent soft and stalky hay nearby

I have had one bag of the Timothy hay that was wet inside the bag in just one place (I threw away about 5% of the hay). It wasn't mouldy I *think* the hay had only just got wet and not had time to go mouldy. It was double bagged and bag not ripped so I didn't think it could have been the courier - only conclusion I came to was that it happened in packing. I've probably had about 20 orders from them and this was the only problem I've had with the hay itself.

they replied already to my email. said they don't know why it's like that but will send another tomorrow, so that's good.

i might have to try some more dust free hay. i got some recently and it seemed good.

i can't use any bales from nearby here because when we tried them they were soooooo dusty and made matts snuffles worse. :(

this is my third bale that has been like this. the first timothy and rye i got was mouldy, and recently it has been two bales of the meadow hay. just a hassle. i want to order some dfh but have no money! :evil: oh the fun! :roll:

I have just ordered some meadow hay so expecting a delivery any day. The last one was full of moss which I have had to pick out. I was debating about trying DFH but wasn't sure how it compared in size. It just said bags or boxes :?

I'm using a bag of their timothy and rye at the moment, it's not mouldy but doesn't look or smell great quality and my 2 aren't liking it much either. Shame considering how pricey it is.

I have just ordered some meadow hay so expecting a delivery any day. The last one was full of moss which I have had to pick out. I was debating about trying DFH but wasn't sure how it compared in size. It just said bags or boxes :?

dfh bags and boxes hold approx 2kg i think. but they never pack it in so it always seems alot less that you get. i tried it again recently and got the stalky which wasn't too great, and some soft which was quite nice. they sent a free sample of the french hay and that was lovely and they all went mad for that so i would go for the french hay if you order. i just got soft though because it's for the guinea pig hay area. :wave:

I'm using a bag of their timothy and rye at the moment, it's not mouldy but doesn't look or smell great quality and my 2 aren't liking it much either. Shame considering how pricey it is.

the last timothy and rye i got is really good but the one before wasn't great, but still ok. seems to be just hit and miss really at the moment doesn't it.

I had a mouldy bag of ings, but spotted it too late and my bunny got really poorly (he's ok now thank god) - contact them, they're really good and sent me a replacement bag.

Good job for spotting it! :)

I had a mouldy bag of ings, but spotted it too late and my bunny got really poorly (he's ok now thank god) - contact them, they're really good and sent me a replacement bag.

Good job for spotting it! :)

your poor bunny :( glad he's ok now.

they're sending a replacement today so that's good. they are a nice company. :D

what i'm going to do now is when it arrives, take it in the garden and go through it as i transfer it to a duvet cover. i'm all paranoid now but better safe than sorry. :thumb:

The likely issue is the couriers, they leave it in a either a) very cold warehouse overnight, then the warm air gets to it, and it gets damp and so mouldy etc.

Saying that, i've NEVER had a bad bag from H4P...so im sure its regional based on the depots.

My current 'bale' is being demolished - Timothy & Rye.

The likely issue is the couriers, they leave it in a either a) very cold warehouse overnight, then the warm air gets to it, and it gets damp and so mouldy etc.

Saying that, i've NEVER had a bad bag from H4P...so im sure its regional based on the depots.

My current 'bale' is being demolished - Timothy & Rye.

the majority of problems i've had are because of the delivery people. they just throw the hay about, throw it in puddles, they just don't care. :roll: i have said this to hay4pets, but i do feel bad because it isn't their fault either. but they always sent a replacement which is great.

I've just received my latest large bag of INGs and one of Timothy and rye, I've never had a problem yet, but it was sent out Friday and has obviously been sitting somewhere all weekend! I always smell it before putting it in the hay basket for the buns so I'll be extra cautious!

I've just received my latest large bag of INGs and one of Timothy and rye, I've never had a problem yet, but it was sent out Friday and has obviously been sitting somewhere all weekend! I always smell it before putting it in the hay basket for the buns so I'll be extra cautious!

i always try and order a certain day so it doesn't sit anywhere over the weekend, but sometimes it takes longer and then does.

always better to double check everything. i will be doing so now aswell :wave:

I must be lucky - my 9kg bag of timothy and rye is going down a storm. Exceptionally stalky, but that's how the buns like it best. The DFH French stalky is OK but not as favoured by the buns. The piggies, however, are wolfing it down :shock:. They also love the current batch of Oxbow timothy, but I can't afford to buy masses of that. It's a treat only!

To the people that love T&R - do you smell it? The last 3 bags I've had have smelt horrible and I have totally given up with H4P now

To the people that love T&R - do you smell it? The last 3 bags I've had have smelt horrible and I have totally given up with H4P now

i do. the recent one is lovely, smells great and it really thick and stalky which they all love. the two before that didn't have a great smell, but they weren't off or anything like that.

the smell of the soft was awful though, and the hay was greasy, and then i found it was wet at the bottom of the bag.

all hay has been not as good quality from anywhere lately i think, because it was a bad year for hay. so it really does seem to be hit and miss. :wave:

I've had 1 bad bag of timothy and rye from h4p. Tbh it wasn't really mouldy but it was obviously an end of the field bale and was full of debris and was quite muddy and yucky. I emailed them and they sent me one out straight away, I was very impressed with their customer service. :)

The last bale I got was very stalking and straw like but was ok, it was just very fresh...my buns were not very impressed with it :roll: Tbh, I think they are going off this hay now and I'm not happy! :lol: They are very picky and I think I will order some meadow hay next time and see if they prefer that. They have only ever really munched the timothy and rye so no clue why they are wasting more of it now.

The last bale I got was very stalking and straw like but was ok, it was just very fresh...my buns were not very impressed with it :roll: Tbh, I think they are going off this hay now and I'm not happy! :lol: They are very picky and I think I will order some meadow hay next time and see if they prefer that. They have only ever really munched the timothy and rye so no clue why they are wasting more of it now.

This is what's happened to me. The current bag isn't 'off' but it's quite brown and doesn't smell great, more lile straw rhan hay. My 2 loved it the last time but just aren't interested in this bag. That said, they are pretty fussy!

Back