• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Roll away netting/fencing for garden ideas/pics?

lioness178

Young Bun
Hiya,

I got some of those puppy panels and they have been fab but ideally I would like something that would roll away, as find them a bit of a nuisance, something like this chicken fencing http://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/chicken_keeping/omlet_chicken_fencing/ but for bunnies, as I should imagine they would just eat this!!

I've been thinking about somehow getting some wire and attaching poles to it to create a fence which can be put/rolled away at the end of play and was wondering if anyone has done this and could help me design my own? Photos would be appreciate if poss :)

Thank you :)

It depends on how high your buns can jump, but most DIY stores like B&Q do "fence on a roll" usually green coated heavy wire, in different heights. However, the roll is heavy and cumbersome to maneuver. You can get metal poles to secure them into the lawn, but the poles are thick and usually need a good hammering to make them secure. This is a lot of work to go to for a temporary supervised run, as foxes will be able to dig under/jump over if not supervised.

:lol::thumb: Glad you are, as so many people don't seem to think that foxes are a) around during the daytime or b) can jump a 7-10ft fence!

We've been doing this sometimes to give the rabbits the run of the whole lawn, but only occasionally as rolling the mesh out is a complete hassle. We used plastic-coated rolls of mesh from Wilkinson's, held down with beanpoles pushed into the ground and lots of tent pegs.

It's really not ideal though as, even though it's only plastic and looks as if it should be light, the mesh is really heavy and awkward to roll out and Ginger still tried to eat his way through it and succeeded in making a couple of small holes. It also difficult to get it secure enough against the ground so that the rabbits can't push their way underneath, even with lots of extra tent pegs. We'd only use it if we knew we were going to be out with them for long enough to make it worth it. When we have time, we're planning to build a permanent mesh fence around the lawn, although the top of the fence will be open so it will still be strictly only for supervised use.

Back