• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing setup for 2 buns?

EllsBells

Young Bun
Hi all,

I would like advice please. I have attached a piccie (I hope) of what my current setup is for a lovely fella Cinnamon.

photo.php

He also has an outdoor run which is 180x120x60 which he goes out in whenever the weather isn't too awful. I have belatedly realised that he needs a wifey (he's castrated so no babies!) and I'm dithering about setup. My husband will definitely not let me increase the space taken so far indoors in any way (he's not really into animals). I really don't want Cinammon to go outdoors though as the kids love having him around, he's always being taken to watch TV, or have cuddles somewhere (he'll go to sleep on his back on my eldest daughters lap) and I just don't think he'll get that level of attention if he's stuck in the garden.

At present he is shut in the cage overnight as I worry about my carpet, (he has a history of destroying it) but I'm looking for a vinyl off cut atm so that the cage could stay open 24/7. Would that be sufficient for 2 dwarf buns? I am also going to get one of those tent bed things from ebay so that they could have separate beds if they so wish.

I really hope that's enough because I don't want him to be lonely, but equally I don't want him outside. What does everyone think?

Thank you,
Ellie

How long have you had Cinnamon? Does he have full access to the whole room, or just the pen area. The lino idea is a good one, as the cage is way too small to keep a bunny in at all. I'd get rid of the cage altogether, and use an underbed storage box as a litter tray...buns like to be able to sit/lay in their litter tray while nomming hay, and corner litter trays aren't really big enough for buns. Unfortunately these cage/litter box combos are sold for rabbits, but really aren't suitable.

There are many stickies of indoor accomodation in the Housing section, so probably worth having a browse through those for ideas.

We have rubber mats on the floor of our x-pen, perhaps you could put those on top of the carpet? You will have to hose them down if he isn't very good at using his litter box, but they work well.

We have rubber mats on the floor of our x-pen, perhaps you could put those on top of the carpet? You will have to hose them down if he isn't very good at using his litter box, but they work well.

I think the vinyl will be fine. He's great with the litter tray actually, no problems there and his hay it's right next to it. Bigger litter tray is very doable and prolly necessary for two of them so will sort that. Not sure if the cage door is open all the time what benefit there would be from removing it tbh, and at present it's useful in that it stops him chewing the skirting boards that are behind it....

I really like the square panels that some are using on here, might be able to get an extra level in upward using them which would give a bit of extra indoor space without upsetting hubby too much! If anyone uses them, do you think I'd be able to fit them round the top of the current cage to create an upstairs? If I took the front door off the current cage, then fixed the panels round the top with an opening and a ramp down to the floor, and then something soft on top of the other cage for a floor? Would that work?

I LOVE the setup someone on here had with a tunnel through the walk to an outside run, but hubby would NEVER permit that! :-(

Still unsure as to whether we have the facilities for two currently?. Buying an outdoor setup is an option, but I like them being inside :-\

Cinnamon is 2, and we've had him from a baby. He used to have access to the whole room, but he just destroyed EVERYTHING, hence the pen.

Thanks,
Ellie

Last edited:
Seem to be talking to myself here, but I'll continue anyhow as hubby has no interest :lol: I've just been reading another thread and really like the split loom tubing idea. I don't mind gating the conservatory off as a whole (whilst it'd be easier to just keep him in the dining room and conservatory together, the dining room is full of oak furniture which he thinks we bought just for him to eat), but I need to figure out a) how to protect the electric wires which he seems to think are toys bought just for him, and b) how to enclose the new piano which we only bought last year, and I'd be devastated if it got nibbled.

Split loom for the wires seems like a good plan, but not sure hubby would be happy with puppy pen splitting the room in two AND placed all around the piano. I can't imagine it being very easy on the eye with all that in place. What to do? :? There aren't any other suitable rooms in the house.

I cant even begin to give advice as I have outdoor bunnies... Hope you manage to sort something out...

Fee xx

EDIT: Found the pic!

I think the setup (cage AND run) would be fine for 2 small bunnies if it's their overnight accommodation. They would need letting out during the day for minimum 6 hours though, imo.

The lino flooring will definitely help, perhaps you could have the whole room done so it doesn't look silly and they can't nibble the edges?

I'm afraid that cage isn't suitable for locking any bunny (let alone a pair) for any more than 30 mins. I'd advise getting the lino asap so you can give your bunny the space he needs!

Last edited:
Umm no advise for the setup sorry :oops: but to prevent you having to lock him in that cage tonight or any night couldn't you put down a dust sheet or and old sheet, cloth or something just till you get the lino ?

Back