• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stop and think

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
before you pop into that pet shop to buy some supplies because it's handy on the way from work, or because the food is slightly cheaper there. STOP
That store sells baby rabbits and guinea pigs from factory type establishments. Does your local pet shop, where the man seems so nice, actually care where the rabbits he sells as Easter gifts end up?
Do not line the pockets of those that trade in lives. You may have to put yourself out a bit, but with the internet making shopping so much easier it won't be too hard..and afterall you care about animals..don't you ?

petpsot_zps08cd4e4b.jpg

Last edited:
:thumb::thumb: Asda sell pellets and veg and farms sell bales of hay or it can be delivered. Thats all mine get/need :D

A pet stall in the loacl market is brilliant for having or getting all the things I need.

And.......................they don't sell livestock!!!!!:D:D:thumb::thumb:

I buy from my local pet store. P&H moved into our area and we have lost 2 small none pet selling shops already.

They have no animals. If i want something they don't have they will order it and call me when its arrived. They are also alot cheaper :D.

Also i resist the erge to get Belle a friend. When i need to sort out my set ups first.

I buy pellets from Kennelgate but its miles away so stock up every dew months.

For hay I have no alternative than to buy it from the local pet shop which does sell animals. I don't know of anywhere else locally that sells it of the same quality.

We get through loads but have nowhere to store it so I need to buy it twice a week.

I buy pellets from Kennelgate but its miles away so stock up every dew months.

For hay I have no alternative than to buy it from the local pet shop which does sell animals. I don't know of anywhere else locally that sells it of the same quality.

We get through loads but have nowhere to store it so I need to buy it twice a week.

Might be worth asking a local livery yard/farm/small holding to see if you could buy bales from them and take them 1/2 a bale at a time? Generally baled hay is much cheaper & better quality so worth investigating :thumb: You could always put a wanted ad up locally :D

I buy all Spenser's supplies online. I just couldn't trust myself in a pet shop. It must be a couple of years since I was last in one.

I do agree people should go to a rescue to find a pet but I do shop in a local P@H for my forage as have not found it anywhere else. I buy my pellets and hay/straw bales from Jolleyes who started selling animals recently. I rely on my grandad to drive me to get it as I do not drive and he will not go further afield so can't really do much about that especially as i'd have to pay postage of £7-8 per bag of pellets and i'm not paying that if I don't have to.

ETA: I have actually also adopted from their adoption section too and TBH I don't regret it - the buns I took on had a lot of health problems that no one else would have taken on and a couple were also 4 and 5 so no one would have wanted them either, they were there for months.

Not trying to cause an argument but wanted to be honest and whilst my opinion may differ I *DO* care about animals unlike what you might believe reading that sentence ;) :thumb:

Last edited:
I get hay from a local farm
and food/treats from Hay experts.. I am pleased with my choice. :thumb:

I do agree people should go to a rescue to find a pet but I do shop in a local P@H for my forage as have not found it anywhere else. I buy my pellets and hay/straw bales from Jolleyes who started selling animals recently. I rely on my grandad to drive me to get it as I do not drive and he will not go further afield so can't really do much about that especially as i'd have to pay postage of £7-8 per bag of pellets and i'm not paying that if I don't have to.

Many online stores offer free postage if you spend over a certain amount & many have special offers on. Always worth asking on here for the best deals ;)

Might be worth asking a local livery yard/farm/small holding to see if you could buy bales from them and take them 1/2 a bale at a time? Generally baled hay is much cheaper & better quality so worth investigating :thumb: You could always put a wanted ad up locally :D

I don't know of any livery yards near me and even half a bale would be hard to store as I have no outside storage. I currently buy it bagged from the pet shop and go twice a week to get some fresh.

Many online stores offer free postage if you spend over a certain amount & many have special offers on. Always worth asking on here for the best deals ;)

Well TBH I have tried a lot of online stores and I am happy with my current situation.... I have spent over £80-90 on some deliveries and still no postage reduction so hey ho :thumb:

again, and without meaning to offend, sometimes sticking to principles isn't easy, but it is worthwhile.
Giving money to shops that deal in little lives does not help animal welfare. Just try pretending those stores are not there, then what would you do? :D

Well TBH I have tried a lot of online stores and I am happy with my current situation.... I have spent over £80-90 on some deliveries and still no postage reduction so hey ho :thumb:

Vet UK offer free postage on orders over £30 I think :thumb:

Last edited:
I have a great local petshop that doesn't sell animals and I can order via facebook. We're on first name terms. :lol:

I don't know of any livery yards near me and even half a bale would be hard to store as I have no outside storage. I currently buy it bagged from the pet shop and go twice a week to get some fresh.

It's more difficult with no outside storage for sure but if you wanted to make the switch I'd look into using a laundry bag or similar to transport and store and do some investigating re baled hay, I bet there's somewhere not far away :D:D

Back