• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rats attacking buns/piggies?!

Autumn

Warren Scout
Having a massive stress having just read about 'bear' at hopper heaven. A month ago I spotted a rat trying to dig under the rabbits aviary. I saw it several times that afternoon and called out pest control ASAP. They have been coming out weekly to put poison down as I'm very concerned about the buns being hurt/frightened and I have very young children so rats in the garden is a nightmare for me. (Am also bloody petrified of the things and even have nightmares about them!)

They/it don't seem to have found a way into the aviary or shed but I'm very concerned about the rabbits and my guinea pigs. Would a rat be likely to attack them?

I'm not sure but if cornered they might go on the defensive?

Good luck, i am petrified too. They are my worst nightmare!!!!

Fee x

Not meaning to cause alarm and I don't know about rats and rabbits but my chinchilla got killed by rats in their outdoor house in my garage. It was a huge enclosure partially made of chicken wire, I could not believe how big the rats were that could squeeze through the wire it was astounding and I had seen no evidence of them there before. I hope you get rid of them soon. I have moved my remaining chinchilla indoors. Good luck x

I don't know if the rats would attack the rabbit, but at her previous home Temperances hutch was badly damaged by rats, they had chewed a lot of the wood around the mesh and several areas of mesh had been pulled back. Quite surprised that from the damage they had done they had apparently not managed to get in. I know it was rats as I witnessed first hand on numerous occasions them up on the front of the hutch chewing at the wood and mesh and it was obvious anyway from the teeth marks on the wood. I would have assumed they were trying to get in for the food, but as it is she was rarely fed and the floor in the shed was littered with horse feed :/

Rats are attracted to rabbit urine, so it would be a good idea to be extra vigilant with cage hygiene if you have rats about. Give the hutch a spray with vinegar/water mix periodically to remove odours.

Thats good to know. I live next to a burn and have seen a couple of rats during my stay here.

Fee x

Back