• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

treating earmites

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
Hello all.Two of my buns have been diagnosed with earmites.Its very early stages and the vet has given us Metacam for any discomfort as well as some stuff the vet applied to the back of their necks-dont know what that was called but there will be 2 more applications due over the next couple of weeks by the vet.Weve also got drops called Canaural which is horrible stuff.Im sure it will help in the long run but its stressing them so much having their 2 apps a day and their coats are becoming a greasy mess arond their heads.On top of that its really expensive.They are really unhappy at the mo and im hoping it will all be worth it.I just wondered if anyone else has any experience of this stuff or earmites in general.Any tips appreciated.:)

Just been to feed/check them and they are so so quiet.Its only day 4 of their treatment but im really concerned about the effect of the ear drops.It seems to be really getting them down.They are eating but not as much as usual.They are just sitting still and there is no evidence of much activity since I was with them alittle earlier:(Am I just being over concerned?!

I have had no experience with ear mites..are they very different to "ordinary" skin/fur mites? My bridge bun Rio had mites and the vet injected him with something to kill them off,two weeks later he got a follow up jab.His wifey bun Cleo was also treated though she showed no symptoms.

Hi,thanks for your post.Ithink theyare different to fur mites.I think id better take them back to the vet on Monday as they are so miserable.I wonder how they got them?:?

Back