• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sensitivity to analgesia or anaesthetic-very worried

bunniesgalore

Alpha Buck
Milly has regular dentals (molars) and bladder massages to remove sludge and always recovers quickly from anaesthesia.
Yesterday pm she had two loose molars removed, her other teeth trimmed etc and a catheter was used to flush out her bladder. Throughout this Milly was on a drip. A different anaesthesia and analgesic was used. My headis so muddled can't remember names but anaesthetic is 'smoother' than before and the analgesic was an opiate-morphine based.
I picked Milly up at 6.00. Two and a half hours plus on from her coming round. She was catatonic. Vet nurse syringed her and she was apparently swallowing but she was barely aware.
Usually I put her back in her bedroom and she hops off albeit in a meandering fashion. I left her in her carrier with the door open and let her be. I kept checking but still quiet. At 7.30 I was very worried. I turned the light on to see properly and Milly was just really open eyed, no blinking and rigid. She was breathing but her nose barely moved. I took her onto my bed and she seemed to waken and hopped slowly a couple of times. Phone in hand I put her on her bedroom floor where she hopped a circuit of room and jumped into the litter tray. I felt a bit better but rubbed her eyelids to try to moisten her eyes.
A few mins later I went back and she had her head on the litter tray edge to support her head. She was catatonic again. I phoned vet, he said she's sleepy, I said no-comatose. He said syringe food f she swallows alls well. I tried and then she hopped back to tray. All night she stayed in litter tray. When I'd approach, her eyes wide open she'd jump when I touched her.
Back to vet this morning. She hopped a bit on floor, vet said she's fine, put her in hutch in garden for 'change of outlook'. I lost temper, said she's not alright. Insisted on metachlopromide and zantac. Metachlopromide only in injection. (Sigh).
Vet said he'd admit her, refused-said she better at home. They're not a hospital, she'd be in a cage on her own. Better here. Vet said today and last night Milly is 'tripping'. When gave Metachlopromide which vet always needs a battle to give he said Milly could show schizophrenic symptoms! I said one of most frequently prescribed drugs for buns and if her gut stops we're in even more trouble.
Ended with me moaning about Metachlopromide injection not lasting long, so he gave me a syringe with another dose for later. Also Zantac liquid. I have to phone at 2.00 to advise how she's doing. He finally said 'it's not gone according to plan' about what's happened, he thinks it's the analgesic.
She's mainly still, enlarged pupils but slowly starting to look a little more normal. Eyes aren't as wide open as they were. She'll eat a few bits of veggies, syringed food isn't so happily received and I'm syringing water too.
She's had no pain relief since 3.00pm yesterday, should I give her metacam? Vet says fine but I feel Milly is overloaded with meds, but with two extractions and also catheters can be sore.
What to do? Have I done OK by refusing admission? At home she's in familiar surroundings, I can do most meds etc. If she's 'tripping' safe familiar surroundings best surely? Her husband here too-he's keeping distance which is best right now.
Do I keep syringing-how often, do I give the zantac, metacam etc?
Just horrendous. It's really frightened me. My head says this has to pass but when? I told vet NEVER AGAIN with these meds. Milly's feisty, she'll be battling, but this has knocked her for six.
Sorry for length.

Oh I am so sorry to hear about Milly. I hope shes ok.
I cant understand why the vet would have allowed her to go home if he was fully awake and compos mentis.. I would have thought it safer to discharge her if she was at least moving!!:shock:

All the best

This happened to Smoo and it's so scary! I'm glad you have the gut motility drugs, they're important. I would give more metacam at maybe 3pm to leave it 12 hours.
With Smoo I syringe fed her every fifteen minutes for two hours, because she wouldn't swallow the food until I'd let her go, so she had 3 ml of recovery food (mashed up softened pellets), then I let her go and did it again 15 mins later. I rotated recovery food, pureed porridge and pineapple juice. In the end the first thing she ate on her own was spring greens, but that was at something like 5 am on Sunday morning and she's been operated on the Friday morning!

Keep trying to feed her, keep offering her favourite foods, get the pain and gut motility meds in her and good luck!

This happened to Smoo and it's so scary! I'm glad you have the gut motility drugs, they're important. I would give more metacam at maybe 3pm to leave it 12 hours.
With Smoo I syringe fed her every fifteen minutes for two hours, because she wouldn't swallow the food until I'd let her go, so she had 3 ml of recovery food (mashed up softened pellets), then I let her go and did it again 15 mins later. I rotated recovery food, pureed porridge and pineapple juice. In the end the first thing she ate on her own was spring greens, but that was at something like 5 am on Sunday morning and she's been operated on the Friday morning!

Keep trying to feed her, keep offering her favourite foods, get the pain and gut motility meds in her and good luck!

THANK YOU SO MUCH.
It will pass won't it?
I use Oxbow's Critical care and water mixed with apple juice.
She's eating carrot tops, basil, spring greens and kale all in little pieces. Not loads but she's obviously hungry. She won't eat hay but last night I kept finding her with tufts of hay hanging from her mouth. She'd sort of gone comatose before she could chew it.
Just so frightening though. In the night whenever I checked on her I thought she'd have died. So awful.

Hopefully she'll be okay by 5 am tomorrow. :D
She's eating more than Smoo was, but Smoo didn't get her gut meds until later on. I live so far away from the vets I was scared to take her back in as she looked like she had stopped breathing in the carrier on the way home. Thinking back I could have just gone myself for the drugs, but I was panicking.

I am so sorry not to re-post before. Milly took several days but is all better now. I saw the vet who operated on Milly today and he expressed his concern at what happened and said he's never had it happen before. Notes have been made on Milly's file that she is not to have that anaesthetic and analgesia again. I have made tat very clear. It's clear the vets have been very troubled by this which means alot to me.
But thank you so much fr helping especially Jenova. I was terrified and genuinely unsure whether Milly would recover. I really am so grateful for your kind reassuring words. I felt very alone before I posted and your posts made me feel so much more hopeful. Thank you.:D

You're more tan welcome, I know how scary it was for me too. I think some rabbits must just be very sensitive to it, Smoo and Milly being two of them.

Back