• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is bunny pregnant? Please help!

Conejitos

Young Bun
I have a female bunny that just turned 4 months today. About a month ago I had her in a cage with a buck two weeks younger then her. I'm not sure of they mates but I did catch him trying to jump her but seperated them. But I didn't have an extra cage because the other female bunny I had was in it plus I didn't think the little ones were going to mate and I thought they were to young still. To cut to the point. It's been about a month. My 4 month old bunny just pulled her fur out last night but no babies and today I see no babies. So I'm confused is she pregnant or not? She's been putting her fur in her house and cloths and even hay. But still no sign of babies. Plus shes acting different she's barely eating. She doesn't like to be touched or have other bunnies around her especially the buck, she runs away or cries and doesn't let me touch her tummy. But I just let her out and shes been running like crazy. I thought pregnant bunnies don't do that because of the babies. Her nipples are big but her tummy isn't. I tried to palpate it but I have no idea of I'm doing it right but I did feel one marble/grape size ball just one which I'm not sure what it is if it's just one baby or what? This is her first. She's only 4 months so os it possible for a little buck to get her pregnant? Is my doe pregnant? She's pulled a lot of her fur out it's been two days and still no sign of babies and I'm not sure of the exact day when they could have mated. Any tips? And yes I know I have to spay/ Nueter and I will but they are still to young so please help with my question I really don't know what to do. It's not my first rabbit that I've had that had babies. Her mother was my first and I wasn't there when her mom was mated. And this one is an accident because I didn't know they mate and get pregnant so earlier. (that's if she is pregnant) please and help, tips, info will be great I really need it.

If she is pregnant then she could be close to delivery or it may simply be a false pregnancy. Is she producing milk from those swollen nipples?

Palpating a 'lump' doesn't sound like a kit. If it were then by now, a month following any accidental mating, it would be kicking strongly and you'd feel it - which can't be mistaken.

A buck can be castrated as soon as there is something there to remove which, in my experience with French Lop, is usually between 12-14 or even 16 weeks so if your girl has been exposed to a buck aged 3 months then, depending on his breed and maturity, it is possible he will be fertile but it's borderline.

I think the lesson is that, unless you want accidents, neuter boys promptly at puberty and girls at around 5-6 months. Many years ago, I had a mating between 9-week old youngsters which I didn't think would be possible. The kits were fine but their mum was mis-shapen as an adult with almost a humped-back appearance. It taught me to be hyper-vigilant re checking boys' bits....

If she is pregnant then she could be close to delivery or it may simply be a false pregnancy. Is she producing milk from those swollen nipples?

Palpating a 'lump' doesn't sound like a kit. If it were then by now, a month following any accidental mating, it would be kicking strongly and you'd feel it - which can't be mistaken.

A buck can be castrated as soon as there is something there to remove which, in my experience with French Lop, is usually between 12-14 or even 16 weeks so if your girl has been exposed to a buck aged 3 months then, depending on his breed and maturity, it is possible he will be fertile but it's borderline.

I think the lesson is that, unless you want accidents, neuter boys promptly at puberty and girls at around 5-6 months. Many years ago, I had a mating between 9-week old youngsters which I didn't think would be possible. The kits were fine but their mum was mis-shapen as an adult with almost a humped-back appearance. It taught me to be hyper-vigilant re checking boys' bits....

She doesn't let me touch her but her nipples are swollen and she's been peeing a lot also I'm sure I felt movement but it could be something else, plus she's small and her belly is small still. She's hasn't ate much but she drinks a bit. My bunnies are still to young. To spay and nueter but I will already have a vet and they are just waiting until they hit the right age. I was told to wait until Monday and see what happens. So I'm going to leave her fur and cloths in there but if by tomorrow there are no babies I guess I will remove her nest.

Back