• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

same coloured buns?

vegasol

Young Bun
I have a question, just out of curiousity:

For those of you who have bunnies of the same breed/size.. who are also of the same colour..
Did you ever have problems telling them apart?

I remember, before I got mine, I were super worried that if they were the same colour, I would be unable to tell them apart. Luckily, they were differently coloured: one is all black and one is black otter.

I soon realized, though, that even if they had both been black, I think I would've been able to tell them apart quite easily, since their facial structure is very different. How was it for you?

I've never had rabbits of the same colour but we used to keep sheep, everyone says they all look the same but I could always tell the difference, guess it's the same as parents of identical twins.

We adopted 2 boys from animal samaritans, the first few days were a bit tough, but then we learnt how different they actually were,
It doesnt matter now as they are bonded out to does and never meet, the 2 does do not get on very well

I've had loads of bunnies that looked almost exactly the same and I still can't tell them apart:p

I've had three blacks; Sasuke was the father, and then Tobi and Bob were his sons. With them Sasuke was noticeably larger and I didn't have Tobi and Bob at the same time:p Sasuke and Tobi also had unique tattoos. I also had Miako, who was the only female of the bunch. She was only told apart by being female...

Sasuke's mate was a brown sable named Aroma. She too had several children of her coloring, all of them boys. In the first litter three was only Niko, but in the second litter I got Sora and Kaze who to this day I could never tell apart aside from the fact that they lived in different hutches. Sora was also more sociable.

I also had two red-eyed whites, the eldest Rufus had a tattoo in his ear so he was easy to tell apart from his younger brother.

Right now though all my buns are differently colored, Zakura (aguti), Bob (Black) and Kaze (sable). I prefer it this way:D Heck when I bought my rats I told the breeder I had no preference for color except they needed to be different:p

I have 2 rabbits, sisters and they are the same colour apart from their feet - Thumper's feet are white (she was going to be named Socks) whereas Coco is brown all over apart from her underside. Thumper also has like marbling on her chest, but when they are both free-ranging and stuffing themselves on the grass I cannot tell them apart, no. The one is slightly darker too - Coco I think - but I still get them mixed up, :lol:

I have two identical piggies, adopted mummy pig and she popped out a baby after I had her for two weeks. They are neary the same size and I don't know how I will tell them apart once they are :lol:

148083793.jpg

I have two identical piggies, adopted mummy pig and she popped out a baby after I had her for two weeks. They are neary the same size and I don't know how I will tell them apart once they are :lol:

148083793.jpg

I'm not a piggy person but they are cute :love: little smiley faces :love:

Nope, at one point I had five thriantas (which are a breed where all the rabbits are the same colour and don't vary much at all in shape) but there's little things about all of them that makes them easy to tell apart

Rory was handreared so smaller than most thriantas, if he wasn't so small though he'd be the perfect 'breed standard' example because his colour was the deepest red I've ever seen in this country and he was so rounded and cobby

Baby's also a midget, she had lighter fur, and for a female she had a really broad head, she had teeny ears too

Hadley had light fur, lots of white on her, she was more pointy faced than the rest, had longer ears, and very doe-like in appearance

Daiiro was also quite small, darker fur, very square head, I think her head shape made her look quite different to other thriantas but she was a very pretty bunny

Naami is the biggest thrianta I've had, about inbetween the really cobby rabbits and the more 'pointed' face ones and she's quite pale

65081_472124780771_3814768_n.jpg

Rory, Daiiro, Hadley and Baby

378984_10150487877735772_544085635_n.jpg

Nami

I find it so strange that to me the differences are huge but to others they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Sorry I've gone on a bit :oops: I miss being able to talk about them :(

I had two bunnies that were very similar looking. When I first got them, I relied a lot on their slight colouring differences to tell them apart, which obviously didn't work when they started to moult. Then I used to rely on their behavioural differences, just by comparing one to the other. I remember a really low moment where one came running for their tea and the other was in the corner in stasis. I rang the vets not knowing 100% which bunny it was! :oops:

After a while it was so obvious which was which though - they weren't identical and were so different in personality.

I rescued a family of G pigs (mum, 1 daughter and 2 sons) and mum is paired with her daughter and the 2 boys live together. They are both identical - jet black longhaired... can never tell them apart just looking but Bill is a bit heavier than Ben if you pick them up

2DE52944-D483-4545-BD7B-9B8ACA5D5A64-343-0000004F3DEC21B7.jpg
[/IMG]

If i was to see this pic i couldnt tell Frankie and Benny apart..
Benny has an old war wound on his nose and Frankie has now lost fur from his nose so I have to see them face on to know who's who....

Back