• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Carrie's Not Eating :(

Captain Helen

Wise Old Thumper
Carrie's refusing food :( Vets appointment shortly. She's had some of the brambles and dandelions I picked, and is now cautiously exploring the living room, so she's quite lively still, not sitting hunched or pressing her stomach. I've brought her in as she was shivering, but being in a strange place means she hasn't pooed since being inside. Plenty of healthy poops in her litter tray before I cleaned it out though.

Also Florence the cat is looking a bit sorry for herself. She had some diarrhoea yesterday, which I put down to the rubbish food, but now she's sleeping a bed she's never used before, which is never a good sign :(

So a double trip to the vet :(

The vet couldn't find anything wrong with her. She's been making a sort of throaty noise, so we think something has scratched her throat. I gave her Metacam earlier, so I'll just keep offering her soft foods and see how she does.

Florence had a lump of poo stuck on her bum :shock: I could only clean the sides, she wouldn't let me have a good look, so I didn't spot it :( Long haired cats and diarrhoea don't mix! She's had an antibiotic just in case, but hopefully will be fine now. :)

Here's Carrie nomming...
CarrieIll1b_zpsb86f4dfc.jpg

And quite happy to be inside...
CarrieIll2b_zpsb43a320a.jpg

Thank you both :) Carrie's had some coriander since we got back from the vets, and is still bouncy. So hopefully the sore throat theory is right, and she'll improve soon. Can't completely rule out needing a dental, but the vet couldn't see anything.

Is there anything I could give her to eat that would help soothe her throat? Like a bunny version of honey and lemon?

Hope Carrie and Florence are on the mend now with their meds.

Would Carrie like a bit of banana or pear, that is nice and soft.

aw, hope they are both feeling lots better soon.

i can't think of anything that would soothe her throat really. maybe just water? you could stick some herb stems in there to 'flavour' it a bit, might make her pull them out and want to drink more?

Hope they both start to get better over the weekend. Carrie looks as if she could easily get used to living indoors, bless her.

Hope they are both feeling a bit better.. doubke trouble indeed. Fee xxxxx

Thanks guys.

Carrie is much the same, still just nibbling. :( If it was a sore throat would it have improved by now? She'll eat coriander and brambles, but anything else just gets a taste then left. If she hasn't improved by Monday I think she needs a better look at her teeth under GA, there may be something the vet can't see at the back.

It's hard to tell with Florence, since she's generally a grumpy puss, but she hasn't had any more diarrhoea and she had something to eat last night. She's not hiding in her bed any more, but she hasn't come up to see me this morning either. :?

Hope Florence is feeling better this afternoon and came out to see you.

I know with Cutie-pie she had 3 orals examinations and not much could be seen. The emergency vet said they were good. :shock: (Enough said on the emergency vet. :roll:)

My vets saw small spurs on her teeth the first time she looked, however it wasn't until she was under the GA they realised they were a lot worse than what could be seen on the 2 oral examinations they did and she had sores on the back of her tongue and cheek.

With Mr Bennett it was obvious start away that his teeth had sharp spurs.

Hopefully Carrie is eating properly soon.

Thanks :) I did syringe feed Carrie this morning, but by the time I'd got the Critical Care ready she was sat in her litter tray munching :) I gave it to her anyway, and some Fibreplex, and left her with a big pile of food and some soaked pellets. Most of it has gone this afternoon, and she was sat in her tray munching again. I couldn't tell if it was the hay or the readigrass she was eating though.

So possible progress, but I'd like to see her eating some unsoaked pellets to be sure. She doesn't like me very much since the vet trip though :(

I think Florence is doing well, no diarrhoea, but I'm not sure she's pooed at all. Hard to tell with four cats! I don't want to stress her by separating her to find out. Found some discount cooked chicken at the supermarket, her reaction to it will give me more answers!

Good luck with the chicken. Lets hope there isn't a secret poo hiding somewhere in the house. ;)

Carrie sounds like she is making progress.

Back