• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

slight problems UD blind in one eye

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
I am getting very concerned about Brownie my male bun.

I cleaned their hutch out yesterday and moved a few things. A few times i have seen him bump into things. It's like he doesn't see them until the last second even at a hop/walking pace.

They have a new hutch coming this weeekend which is a totally different set up to the one he has. I have a vet appointment for him tomorrow morning (mine luckaly do a saturday morning clinic) but just wondering if theres anything i can do in the mean time.

Last edited:
Does he scan?

Scanning is when a bun holds his head perfectly level but sweeps it from side to side in a slow but steady fashion. Most sight impaired buns will do this, if not and he is very very clumsy it *may* be neurological or you may just have a clumsy bun!

I was going to mention scanning, that definitely is a sign there's sight problems.

Also lunging and grunting at any sudden movements is also a sign. Although if you're naturally quite chatty around the bun they may well compensate!

The vet will be able to look at his eyes.

My Bailey is blind and he's adjusted really well, for most part he's no different to any other bunny, but he prefers you to talk to him on approach so that he isn't startled.

His eyes actually work fine but the signal does not get from his eyes to his brain.

Thank you for the replies.

Having spent the last two hours with him. He's not scaned that i've seen but when i talk to him he always turns so he looks at me with the same eye. He has done this for quite a while i just never put two and two together. Buster seems to always approch him on that side too.

He did used to lung at Buster. Not so much nowadays. I think Buster's learnt not to go that side.

Hopefully the vet will be able to see tomorrow.

Been to the vets Brownie is blind in one eye. The other eye looks fine.

He seems to cope quite well. So well in fact i never noticed until yesterday. Hopefully with Busters help he can continue on as he is with no issues.

Back