• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Suspected gi statisis or stress

shadow05

Mama Doe
hiya everybody been a while,

anyways i friend of mines rabbit has stopped eating the time he ate was this morning but he wont take anything now. hes stopped eating and seems to be more interested in sleeping. hes not had a drink since this morning as far as she cant tell. he keeps licking and biting his sides as well. he normally thrashes around when she picks him up but doesnt he just goes submissive. which is not his style lol.

can anybody help shes worried he might dye. ive told her tht it cud be something or it cud be nothing. my guess is hes stressed for some reason. he is pooing as well as normal.

I take it she has tried tempting him to eat something?

I dont really know what to say except it sounds like she should see a vet asap..

Good luck!
Fee xx

shes tried just about everything even his fav food nothing. Just looks at her gone out and goes back to sleep lol

ive said he cud probs do with a vet but for now he doesnt sound to bad so i told her to keep an eye on him and see how he is in morning.

I would say vets asap, a rabbit not eating or drinking and dramatic behaviour changes like that sounds like he needs to see a vet now. It could be anything, statis, a blockage. Rabbits go downhill very quickly and spotting and sorting it sooner could save a life if it is serious. I know if any of mine did anything like that they would be off to the vets immediately.

I would say vets asap, a rabbit not eating or drinking and dramatic behaviour changes like that sounds like he needs to see a vet now. It could be anything, statis, a blockage. Rabbits go downhill very quickly and spotting and sorting it sooner could save a life if it is serious. I know if any of mine did anything like that they would be off to the vets immediately.

shes not having a good time with her pets at moment bless her. first one of her rescue rats dye after she nurses him back to health and then he dies of something else. her other 2 rescue rats have a chest infection tht they dont seem to get rid off. and now her bunny :(.

im lucky sccoters prefectly healthy and hes 3 already.

It sounds like my bunny did before he passed. He didnt eat or drink for a few hours and by the time i noticed, it was too late and he was put to sleep with a major mass in his abdomen and heart failure. If she does nothing, she may bitterly regret it...

shes tried just about everything even his fav food nothing. Just looks at her gone out and goes back to sleep lol

ive said he cud probs do with a vet but for now he doesnt sound to bad so i told her to keep an eye on him and see how he is in morning.

Are you serious?

Bun could be dead by the morning. She's right to think bun may die.

He's not eaten or drunk for over 12 hours.

The fact he's biting as his side suggests serious pain.

He/She is probably in absolute agony.

Needs a vet TONIGHT. Not tomorrow, tonight.

I also find it very distasteful that you are joking about this rabbits welfare by 'lol'ing constantly about the situation.

AS everyone else has said, he really needs to see a vet, or he may not make the night :(

Hope he picks up and starts eating, sounds like shes not having a good time of it

Hello, I had similar recently with one of my buns. She was eating in the morning but when I got home, she didn't come running up to me as usual so I thought something wrong. Took her straight to the vet and glad I did. Guts had slowed right down. I got to listen, courtesy of my great vet and you could hear no tummy noises. She is ok now after treatment. I think vet is best idea or at least maybe trying to get the bun to take something like Fibreplex if you have some. If none of the Fibreplex then maybe something that you know the bun loves as a treat. If bun refuses then you know probably things are not right. Good luck with this, know it is so, so hard when they are poorly x

Not eating for 12 hours is an emergency, and the bun needs to be seen by a vet tonight. Hope you can let her know how serious this is and encourage her to go to the vet xx

Im srry but the loling is a habit no harm is meant by it. Im sorry but its said once in a convo and its said because i was actually making a funny there. by saying tht he looks at her gone out. nothing wrong with tht my rabbit does it all time. as if to say wat the hell are u doing.

i do have some knowledge in this im not totally thick. i know GI statisis is serious and its best to not leave it but the fact is tht the bunny in question is still pooing. tht has not changed.

As Everyone else has said he really needs to go to be seen by a vet tonight.

I had one of my first proper dealings with stasis a few weeks back and it really does need urgent attention.

my bunny wasnt feed since this morning at 8 and where on half 11 now. and hes okay he gets feed twice a day 5o g in a morning and 25g at night. he doesnt get veg apart from the odd carrot he gets loads of hay.

But your rabbit isn't ill, her rabbit isn't eating or drinking which is a emergency, whether he has pooed or not.

Im srry but the loling is a habit no harm is meant by it. Im sorry but its said once in a convo and its said because i was actually making a funny there. by saying tht he looks at her gone out. nothing wrong with tht my rabbit does it all time. as if to say wat the hell are u doing.

i do have some knowledge in this im not totally thick. i know GI statisis is serious and its best to not leave it but the fact is tht the bunny in question is still pooing. tht has not changed.

*bangs head on wall*

You've been here as a member long enough. You've read enough threads.

It's clear to me this rabbit is suffering, and you are not going to do anything about it.

If no food goes in, whats in there at the moment will soon run out. That's basic.

Im going to leave now, before i say soemthing i will not regret.

Rabbits shouldn't really be given anything without a vet looking at them and finding out what the problem may be. Buns in stasis need to have pain relief injections , gut stimulants and to be syringe fed every few hours. He really needs to see a vet now.

ive told her everything uve said apart from me being had a go at cause she dont need to hear tht. she cant take him tonite but she will most likely stay up most of the night with him and take him in morning as soon as.

Back