• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So does your bunny/bunnies miss you when you leave them in boarding?

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
In my experience.............................sorry, it's no!!!!

Obviously there are some with psychological issues that do take more time to settle and even if they don't fully settle they still are happy to eat, drink, pee, poo and have some love and attention lavished upon them.

Others......well IMO they are ready to wave farewell to their human carers and get the party started!!!!

Most bunnies are so inquisitive that they can't help themselves and have to explore everything asap. They love seeing, hearing and smelling new things.

This is my personal experience of 11 years of caring for other peoples' bunnies and 17 years of caring for my own.

I just thought I would share my experiences with you to try and put peoples' minds at rest .........even though I'm sure we all still worry about our little darlings.

I don't know if Doughnut missed me but I think she missed her freedom. She has the reign of the house when I'm home and a large enclosure outside in the summer to bounce around in. At the bunnery her hutch was a good size, nowhere near as big as her playpen and hutch at home though and the outside one they used were quite small.

She is very nosy but loves company so I also thought she would miss that too. I'm sure she was happy there though as she loves her food and they gave her two eggcups a dayof pellets instead of one!

Alvin is always delighted to go to bunny day care. He doesn't mind being confined and the hutches are decent.

Roxy however hated it and would jump back in the carrier or into my arms, she always used to look so sad. Sarah the girl who looked after them said Roxy was always a nightmare to get back in the hutch.

Many bunnies are not fortunate enough to have the same space in boarding as they do at home, but I've never found that to be a real problem.

Plenty of distractions, toys, lots of attention always seems to be appreciated.

Ive not been away and left my bunnies yet! I have found a number for a boarding place in the next village so when i do need to i will go check them out :thumb:

Not exactly the same thing but in recent months we have twice taken in rabbits from homes where they were very well loved ( which is usual for us) and both times within days the rabbits have gone into stasis :( It does seem they do miss "home" so I think bunnies must know when they have been left forever or left for a holiday :? Which confirms my suspicions that they are aware of a lot more than they let on :love:

I'm sure Frodo HATES coming home from Aunty Di's ;)

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm I'm sure he is glad to be back home!:thumb::thumb: There is only so much tv a bunny wants to watch!!!!! And Frodo doesn't get to choose what channel he wants to watch.:roll::shock::lol:

Noserubs to the perfect bunny. xx

Hugo's There, I agree with you saying that they are alot more aware of what is going on than we ever could imagine.

Very clever, sensitive, charming and wonderful animals. xxxx

Well, my 3 didnt bother their bunny tails..... Ali's pad is a much better option that mine at the mo!!,:lol:

Not exactly the same thing but in recent months we have twice taken in rabbits from homes where they were very well loved ( which is usual for us) and both times within days the rabbits have gone into stasis :( It does seem they do miss "home" so I think bunnies must know when they have been left forever or left for a holiday :? Which confirms my suspicions that they are aware of a lot more than they let on :love:

That is so sad. When I left Doughnut for a week I wondered if she wondered why I'd left her and thought I wasn't coming back. I tend to over think things when it comes to her though.

Spenser has never had an experience of boarding. He is not a 'people' rabbit, but tends to take the huff if I go out for any length of time. I'm afraid he has far too much his own way. :oops:

We left our bunnies at home, and our landlady seen to them twice a day for us.... not sure if they missed us, or if it was their routine / free range time, but they were certainly happy to see us when we got back! But that was probably their routine / space (because when we leave them and go away - they have a very small area - cos they're little rascals to get back in the shed if its not their time yet!)

I miss them dreadfully and I'm a complete stress head worrying about them. Daisy has a tendency to stop eating as well when she goes to boarding so that really doesnt help, she doesnt like being taken away from her home :cry:

My bunnies seem to love going into boarding! They're perfect little angels for whoever is looking after them - even letting their new mummy pick them up! They sulk when they come home :roll:

P.S Di - you might get the 'pleasure' of boarding N&T later this year when I have a family wedding!

In my experience.............................sorry, it's no!!!!

Obviously there are some with psychological issues that do take more time to settle and even if they don't fully settle they still are happy to eat, drink, pee, poo and have some love and attention lavished upon them.

Others......well IMO they are ready to wave farewell to their human carers and get the party started!!!!

Most bunnies are so inquisitive that they can't help themselves and have to explore everything asap. They love seeing, hearing and smelling new things.

This is my personal experience of 11 years of caring for other peoples' bunnies and 17 years of caring for my own.

I just thought I would share my experiences with you to try and put peoples' minds at rest .........even though I'm sure we all still worry about our little darlings.

I agree totally! I don't have as much experience as Mrs Bunnykins, but we've observed exactly the same.

Tracey

My bunnies seem to love going into boarding! They're perfect little angels for whoever is looking after them - even letting their new mummy pick them up! They sulk when they come home :roll:

I can echo this.....we often have owners warn us that their rabbit won't let you do this, or doesn't like that, or that they bite/scratch/kick/growl, etc....but they're (normally) total poppets for us!

My theory on this is that the owners have an expectation that their buns will behave in a certain way, which no doubt shows itself in their body language and the way they interact with their bun, so the bun ends up behaving in that certain way!

With buns that we've never met before, we have no pre-conceived ideas or expectations and we handle themand interact with them in exactly the same way as we would the other buns, so the behaviour doesn't rear it's ugly head, so to speak! :lol:

One of my cousins usually comes to look after my rabbits and I don't think they miss me one bit when I go away :lol:

Back