• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it harder to rehome REWs?

Alice's mum

Warren Scout
I'm about to foster a red eyed white, picking him up this evening. He can stay with me until he gets a forever home and I'll be putting him on here in the Rabbits in Need section in the next few days. Personally I love REWs but I just wondered if anyone in the rescue sector has experienced more difficulties rehoming them due to prejudice?
Thanks.

Not a rescue but I think they are harder to rehome, as with black bunnies and agouti's. All of which I hope to have one day, I think they're all gorgeous :love:

People want patterns and pretty colours, I know my sister thought something was horribly wrong with their eyes when she saw a REW :?

I like them too! My hubby isnt keen but theyre my rabbits so i wouldnt care if liked them or not ha! I had one as a child he was so lovely.

Yes as are agoutis and black buns. People tend to want the pretty or unusual buns, my Fudge was in rescue for nearly a year and foster with me for a few months before OH decided he wanted to keep him :(

Yes, we have 3, and one bonded with a black, no interested at all (well apart from 2 that a lady took as she had her girl for 9 years and she was a REW so she took 2 Rews)

I have a REW and they are my favourites, but apparently it is generally harder to rehome them. Some people find thier eyes scary-looking. Some of the rescues, eg. Honeybunnies, have had special posters made to draw attention to REWs. Fairly Beloved Rabbit Care also did a special feature on them.

I had one as a child, Rosie Red Eyes :D

She couldn't see very well and got aggressive with her sister if she moved suddenly and startled her :(

At Kirkby rescue the rews most definitely get overlooked more than any other colours. :(

When I had to get another friend for Sugar after Herbie passed away, I purposely chose a rew because I know they are destined to spend months/years in rescue while other 'prettier' bunnies come and go.

My rew, called Roo, has poor eyesight and will panic and bite if he sees movement (ie my hand) in front of him. He's actually a very friendly lad, so it is just panic that makes him bite. He never does it to Sugar, thankfully. I think this is why he ended up in rescue at only 6 months old. He just needs a bit of understanding.

over the years the hardest colour we have found to home is your standard up eared agouti, then plain black up ears, then REWS

Last edited:
I think it is and I'll be honest that I wouldn't have considered it previously. As it happens I'm collecting a REW on Sunday and I really wanted her since I thought she'd be stuck in the rescue for months. My daughter and husband can't wait for her arrival either. :love:

I didn't know black bunnies are hard to home. I initially wanted a little black bunny or grey as I thought they were really cute. Wasn't interested in the pattern ones.

I looked at a couple but I didn't like the set up of the breeder, the rabbits were very nervous. I then saw Doughnut where there were about 20 others to choose from but they were all very friendly. They all came up to say hello, including her and she was the smallest and as soon as the bowl of food was down, her head was in it. I think I went for cuteness and character but I think black bunnies are gorgeous.

Sadly it's the case with piggies too, in fact a lot of pigs with pink eyes are overlooked despite having wonderful coat colours:?

I think it is and I'll be honest that I wouldn't have considered it previously. As it happens I'm collecting a REW on Sunday and I really wanted her since I thought she'd be stuck in the rescue for months. My daughter and husband can't wait for her arrival either. :love:

Is Alvin having another wife? Exciting.

:oops: I was not keen at first, but having read Jacks-Jane post and now this my heart strings are pulled. for the future I would consider one.
One of the buns I have jsut adopted -well both are black, maybe this is why they were overlooked, I did not realise epeople did not like black, they area both gorgeous:love:

When adopting I have to admit I do tend to try and go for the "less in demand type" i.e REW and blacks, I just can't stand the thought of them being left just because of how they look. (Just adopted a REW and *fingers crossed* will soon have a little black bun :D

I didn't realise agouti's are often overlooked aswell though! :shock: My Dylan is an agouti, I think :oops: I'm not very good with breeds :oops: ...

Uppy eared black bunnies are ace....and extremely intelligent. Not that I'm bias or anything *coughs* :lol::lol::lol:

Back