• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Conjunctivitis? (U/D on Percy)

luna

Mama Doe
Hi,

I think my new bunny Penny may have conjunctivitis. Im not sure yet but yest I noticed she had quite pink and inflamed rings around her eyes and also the hair around her eye is all wet and she has been scratching a good bit with her hind leg. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow afternoon for a proper diagnosis but I was wondering in the meantime is there anything i can do to make her more comfortable and im also wondering is it contagious to humans because I know how contagious our own version of it is so I have been washing my hands every time I handle her just in case it can be transmitted to us. Am I being overcautious?

Seen as i am bringing her to the vet tomorrow I will also find out for sure if she is a Penny or a Percy because I have this niggling feeling she could be a boy. Also when i have checked her myself i think there is evidence of a boy but still cant be sure. I feel like im going for a 20week scan tomorrow to find out the sex of my baby. :lol: Im excited!

Last edited:
I don't have any idea about conjunctivitis in rabbits but wanted to bump this up for you just in case anyone knows. I will be waiting to hear what the vet says and if your bunny is Penny or Percy.

Hi, I think my new bunny Penny may have conjunctivitis. Im not sure yet but yest I noticed she had quite pink and inflamed rings around her eyes and also the hair around her eye is all wet and she has been scratching a good bit with her hind leg. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow afternoon for a proper diagnosis but I was wondering in the meantime is there anything i can do to make her more comfortable and im also wondering is it contagious to humans because I know how contagious our own version of it is so I have been washing my hands every time I handle her just in case it can be transmitted to us. Am I being overcautious?

My ND buck had conjunctivitis in his right eye a while ago. The vet prescribed both oral medicine and eye-drops, gave him an antibiotic jab, and sent us on our way. I gave up on the oral medicine because it was a royal P.I.T.A. trying to get him to take it, but the eye drops cleared the conjunctivitis up within three days. Nevertheless, I saw out the course of topical treatment (a week maybe).

I would leave his/her eye alone and seek the vet's advice a.s.a.p.. Your rabbit can sweat it out for a little longer!

:wave: conjunctivitis in bunnies is often a secondary issue to a dental problem, very often the tooth roots grow up higher than they should do and irritate the tear duct/around the eye and this is what causes inflammation and infection. So make sure your vet checks his/her teeth (they can't see the roots without an x-ray but will at least have an idea of what the actual teeth are like). Hopefully you will be lucky and it will clear up nicely with eye drops, but just be aware it can recur especially if it is related to tooth roots.

Let us know how you get on - and indeed whether you have a Penny or a Percy :D

^^^ this. Eye problems can be secondary to teeth issues so do ask your vet to check them thoroughly. Hopefully it will just be a bit of infection or hay dust in the eye which can be sorted with drops.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Ye might have hit the nail on the head re the teeth. Im lucky i have a good small animal vet, he has been my saviour over the last few years. The first thing he did was check the tear ducts which were clear thankfully and confirmed diagnosis of conjunctivitis and secondly he checked the teeth which he wasnt too pleased with and felt they were too long.

It turns out that Penny is infact a Percy so my gut was right on that one. Not the best news in terms of bonding because i wanted a girl to bond with Bobby but we will figure it all out and hopefully i can get the two boys to bond. On a positive note, Percy's testes are pretty much down so he is booked in with the plum fairy for next Thurs and his teeth will get checked out properly then. So now I can start the bonding in 5 weeks rather that another 2 to 3 months. Yay!

Back