• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many pets do you have? Any how many is too many?

Autumn

Warren Scout
Just curious really....
I have five rescued buns, three guinea pigs, two tortoises and two dogs. They're hard work sometimes but I wouldn't be without a single one of them!

When does lots of pets become too many?! I can't be the only person on here who is teased about their 'zoo'?!

10 buns, 2 guineas, 4 hamsters and 2 gerbils.

All have housing which meets or exceeds the recommended requirements.

I'm home alone alot as hubby works shifts and I don't really go out so they keep me busy. I enjoy cleaning them out and making their supper etc.

For me its no different to having two, but I imagine for many it would be too many, what I find enjoyable my hubby found quite hard work when I had an accident recently and broke my collarbone.

I think everyones limits are different and it depends on your personal situations.

Two rabbits, three ex-battery hens (adopting more in the spring), a terrapin (an unplanned rescue) and two beehives. Also next door's cat, who seems to think she lives in our house. I'd love a tortoise. I also keep thinking about more rabbits...

I guess too many is when you're no longer able to cope with caring for them to a high standard.

4 bunnies, 2 hamsters (bound to increase now we've got a spare cage), 2 budgies and lots of fish.

I do feel it gets on top of me sometimes - especially as the bunnies all need their turn for free range and at the moment Sheldon and Holly need lots of supervision and distraction as they are a bit naughty - but it should get easier when they are bonded.

But I wouldn't do without them though - they are worth the hard work and repay it 100 times over every day!

3 Horses
2 Dogs
3 Cats
4 Chickens, will be 6 chickens tonight
Tropical tank with about say 20 fish in
Fish pond with about 100 fish in
and
55 rabbits will be 72 if the 2 litters that have just been born by 2 rescues all survive 9 in 1 8 in the other :cry:

You've got 55 rabbits?! That's a lot. Do they mostly live in pairs or do they live in groups? I've only got two but would love to rescue more (not that many!) and keep thinking about how I could make it work.

2 bunnies, 2 cats, 2 gerbils, 1 dog and 1 leopard gecko. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about them all being too much (at one point I was considering rehoming Kiitos (gecko) and the gerbils) but I was very low at the time. They're my girlies (and Manson!) and I love them! :love: Bit of extra work now that we have Olly but, hopefully, if/when he and Mylo bond it will be easier.

You've got 55 rabbits?! That's a lot. Do they mostly live in pairs or do they live in groups? I've only got two but would love to rescue more (not that many!) and keep thinking about how I could make it work.

My five all live as a group Alexander. I have had very very few issues with bonding and although my two latest rescues (stolen from a python pen!) are currently separated awaiting neutering I have found that if introduced as babies there are rarely issues. My boys are now in a separate pen but still have constant access to the other buns (two sisters and their brother) and from experience I envisage few problems reintroducing then post castration. Bunny bonding is stressful for owners and sometimes there can be genuine issues between buns but if as an owner you can hold fast and be brave despite the nervous breakdowns pending IME it is generally fairly straightforward xxx

I have two rabbits and one cat :)

At the most I had ten rabbits when I had the accidental litter, four rehomed and four passed away, my cat and looked after my cousins dog for three months whilst she went travelling. That was a busy busy time!! :lol:

Only too manyy if you don't have the time, money and space for them.

I have:

10 cats + 1 feral + 2 cats my neighbor abandoned. So 13 cats technically.
5 dogs
7 ducks + a lot of stray muscovies and mallards that hang out in my yard that I feed.
3 rabbits
5 button quail
3 cockatiels
2 lovebirds
11 budgies
A lake aka retention pond with hundreds/thousands of fish and dozens of turtles
1 indoor musk turtle
1 florida flatcoil snail

We rescue, but most will be staying here, 2 are off to new homes in next week or so, another lady who has just rehomed 2 is coming back to look at a doe for the buck she has just neutered, so a while off yet, but another that will be rehomed,
All systems go, the bad luck has not stopped, but learning to get on with it now, 2 bucks that came in, have been living together since October, are actually buck and doe, and we have nesting, :shock: numbers are going down with the buns, but we keep getting them in and then getting kits too :censored:

Oh an forgot to say, all but 10 are paired up, 2 are being neutered next week, so will be more bonding in the next few months, and eventually we hope for a colony, but main thing for now is they are in pairs, we did have a trio, but 2 does were promised to husbuns, leaving willow on her own, but she has a husbun waiting for her too, lots of buns to maintain means low bank balance and neutering/spaying is taking time, but we will get there :D

I have four bunnies and that is definitely my limit with buns. I would at some stage though like to get some more dwarf hamster. I miss having them:( I had 4 guinea pigs but in the last year they all died of age related illnesses at 5 years.

I have Bella, Woody anda corner fishtank with about 8 Malawi cichlids in it. Were planning on getting another bun this year.

2 ponies
1 dog
2 cats
2 rabbits
1 tortoise
1 chinchilla hopefully soon 2

This is an amount that works perfectly for me.

3 bunnies, two cats :) I think enough is when it becomes a drag or a chore doing them and you aren't enjoying it. I'm not enjoying it at the moment but I know that's due to the horrible weather, i'd never rehome them!

1 dog
8 cats (used to breed) (2 actually mine others are my mums however we all share ownership)
8 turtles with fish in their tanks (share with my partner)
1 Syrian hamster
2 dwarf hamsters
5 guniea pigs
1 rabbit

My partner and friends always tease me and my mum about our little Zoe. However I don't feel however that it is too many animals, no amount of animals are too many unless they aren't being cared for and kept clean. All of our animals are defiantly part of the family and spoilt!
I'm such a softy, always rescuing when I can :love:

Back