• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on my pancake babies

CazandCo

Alpha Buck
Hello all,

Just thought I'd update you on whats been going on over the last two weeks. I am still a mummy to all 6 babies, they are all growing very fast now. Eyes are open and fur is there. I am planning to keep the 4 bunnies, after re homing 2 to my boss. I have been searching on gumtree and online for some more hutches to accommodate the babies. I'm not sure what is best, try to keep them as a quad or split in to two pairs? So far i have managed to get a 6ft two story hutch for £40!!! it has been used as an indoor cage so its in pristine condition.

Obviously i will be getting them all neutered/spayed, but wondered how its best to approach the vets to get the payment plan. Should i take the babies and mum in when they are a little older and mention it then or would you call them up first?

I have spoken to the cattery, and the poor lady was really shocked and devastated when i told her. She has apologized profusely and has promised to support me as she can (her finances are tight). I have said i will be getting all the buns neutered, she said she might not be able to help pay for that but should i need to board them when i go away i can put all my pets in for free.

I don't have any experience of dealing with babies, but just wanted to wish you well in finding them good accomodation. :wave:

I have spoken to the cattery, and the poor lady was really shocked and devastated when i told her. She has apologized profusely and has promised to support me as she can (her finances are tight). I have said i will be getting all the buns neutered, she said she might not be able to help pay for that but should i need to board them when i go away i can put all my pets in for free.

I wouldn't touch that boarding establishment again with a barge pole:lol:

Males will need separating from mum at 8 weeks, male/female siblings will need separating at 10 weeks, unless you are experieneced enough to check males daily & can get them at the vets the day their plums drop. Personally - I wouldn't risk it.

Personally, I would neuter dad, spay mum when babies are old enough & bond when they are healed at 2 weeks. I'd maybe bond the female babies back in, but be ready for fights as their hormones kick in & spay as soon as old enough, & separate the male offspring & neuter as soon as able from 12-16 weeks, then bond them in.

This would hopefully leave you with a large group, that would need a shed/run set up.

It rarely works as you plan it though.

I think you should neuter all the boys first, then work on the females, since the boys have a higher chance of falling out with each other at a younger age, plus making sure all boys have been done at a younger age means no chance of more babies. Not sure how they should be kept though.

Back