• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

TIMMY now back from the vets -doing brilliantly Wed 27th

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
Just an update on Timmy - the vet was mystified - it appears Timmy has a tooth missing from his upper right and the tooth next to it was broken and sharp - it has now been removed. So Timmy now has no teeth upper right. The bottom right were filed down as they were a bit long - left side is absolutely fine. The vet was mystified by the missing tooth which must have happened a long time ago - he thinks there may have been some trauma to that side :cry::cry: so now Timmy will need his teeth checking regularly as his bottom right have nothing to grind against when he is eating - which makes sense. The good thing is he is home and back with Sweetpea having a late potter around the garden seemingly well. Any advice is always appreciated - i have purchased some Ella's kitchen and mushed some pellets and grated carrot and he has had some off a teaspoon as RU members advised.

Last edited:
Glad that he is home and eating a bit. Very strange to have a missing tooth...but fortunately you know now. Did the vet give you an idea of how often his teeth with need doing? Maybe lots of twigs and apple branches could help, though he may tend to chew one sided :?

I have had similar in older bunnies but not one so young.

Personally I wouldn't let him outside on the same day as a GA. It's freezing outside here and he needs to be kept warm xx

Hi Sue, my Homer was a dental bunny. We always had Oxbow critical care in just in case he stopped eating suddently. It is a lot easier to syringe than mushed up pellets and sometimes they will lap it up off the spoon or out of the bowl. I always used to say it was miracle stuff for him as he seemed to pick up after it.

As Liz says, he should be inside really after a GA as they can not keep their body temperature up. Do you also have some metacam for him? Always handy to have in if your vet will let you for a dental bun.

Glad that he is home and eating a bit. Very strange to have a missing tooth...but fortunately you know now. Did the vet give you an idea of how often his teeth with need doing? Maybe lots of twigs and apple branches could help, though he may tend to chew one sided :?

The vet said to pop back in about 4 weeks to have a look at the bottom ones to see how much they have grown - if his gums are not sore will he still chew on that side do you think?

Thanks all, I brought Timmy in to the living room and opened his carrier, he came out straightaway, went out into the conservatory and straight outside where his wifey was - they had a sniff of each other then had a potter about together for a few minutes - I was going to put them both in the living room overnight but he seems to be absolutely fine - he has had some brown bread, some mushed SS with grated carrot and lapped up some mashed banana with Ella's kitchen mixed in and had a drink of water too. They are both in their hutch now with extra hay and a big fleecy mat - there's always a cover over too. I think they would be best where they know and especially as Sweetpea is blind, she feels safer in there. Hope that's okay!

Had a rethink after what you have said - they are both now snuggled into a massive hutch in the living room - Timmy is even chomping on hay!! Thank you all so much for your help and advice - keep it coming - I am really grateful and have taken on board everything said - Timmy says thank you too x

It sounds like he has recovered well...If he usually eats pellets, I'd try him with a few dry pellets, and if he turns his nose up at them, or struggles to eat them, just try dipiing them in a bowl of water for a few seconds...just do a couple at a time ...Pebbles went mad for them, and as he was eating one, I was dipping the next!

:lol::lol: will try that tomorrow - can't believe how great he is - as if nothing has happened - the vet was happy and said the broken tooth was quite easy to take out so I suspect no real trauma to his gums - he's probably just pleased to get the flippin' thing out as it was probably driving the poor little lad crazy - bless him x

One of Homer's "came out" when he had a dental, they can grow back if the root was not taken out. 4 weeks would be a good time for the check up to see how he is coping with no top teeth. They could grow quicker as they will have nothing to grind against.

Timmy and his wifey Sweetpea had a 'great' night - all warm and cosy - more food and water gone overnight - it's as if nothing happened bless him - he must be feeling so much happier about that broken tooth being taken out. Currently playing out together before breakfast x

Back