• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

anyone else had this two weeks post tooth extraction? advice?!

natandfluffs

Alpha Buck
Charlie had several cheek teeth removed two weeks ago tomorrow. There was pus beneath them and they were loose. Despite how big an op this was he was eating almost as soon as he came round and within 24 hours was eating normally.

At check up he was put on septrin as there was still some put. Yesterday (5days into septrin and 12 days post op) he was only eating soft foods- kale and greens, broccoli but not the stalk. He was even less keen by the afternoon so was back at the vets. Still some remaining put which vet removed under light ga this morning. Nothing alarming and it appeared to be healing well.

He's been severely poked and prodded so is back on metacam now. However he will only eat vet if it is chopped up finely- otherwise struggles to keep it in his mouth. I expect some discomfort is normal today but compared to last time, when he was scoffing entire leaves of spring greens a few hours after, its quite different.

Any thoughts?

I am wondering if the infection is actually in the bone as well as soft tissue. If so Septrin is highly unlikely to be of any benefit, it does not penetrate bony matter. Another antibiotic or combination of antibiotics may be needed.

Also, what dose of Metacam are you giving ? Some Vets still significantly under-dose.

Thanks Jane :)

If he is no better tomorrow i will ask for radiographs doing. We did discuss it at the initial appointment but at that point didn't have any idea that the problems were this advanced- it just looked like one over grown tooth that we were considering extracting so decided to hold off.

He's on 1ml of metacam, twice daily. his last weight was 3.2kg. Does that sound about right?

I honestly have no idea what happened, one minute he was munching on talk oat hay and an hour later was eating very selectively. Its also the first time i don't feel my vet has fully taken on my concerns, but i guess he doesn't realise what a big eater Charlie is.

On the up side, he has just eaten some (sliced) curly kale very enthusiastically and is managed pellets so hopefully he'so the mend and I'm worrying unnecessarily..!

N x

Thanks Jane :)

If he is no better tomorrow i will ask for radiographs doing. We did discuss it at the initial appointment but at that point didn't have any idea that the problems were this advanced- it just looked like one over grown tooth that we were considering extracting so decided to hold off.

He's on 1ml of metacam, twice daily. his last weight was 3.2kg. Does that sound about right?

I honestly have no idea what happened, one minute he was munching on talk oat hay and an hour later was eating very selectively. Its also the first time i don't feel my vet has fully taken on my concerns, but i guess he doesn't realise what a big eater Charlie is.

On the up side, he has just eaten some (sliced) curly kale very enthusiastically and is managed pellets so hopefully he'so the mend and I'm worrying unnecessarily..!

N x

Is it the DOG Metacm, the 1.5mg/ml one ?

Back