• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post dental advice needed - first time

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
Some of you may be aware my gorgeous 'Timmytime' has gone for his first dental since being with me (2 months) I've never had a dental bun before (in 4 years of having buns) so what should I do and look out for with him when he comes home later?

I'd make sure you get to speak with the Vet when you collect him. Ask exactly what was found- ie spurs ? Elongated crowns ?, soft tissue damage (cuts/ulcers on cheeks/tongue), signs of any active infection/loose teeth

Where skull radiographs taken to assess tooth roots ? This can give more detailed information and a better indication of longterm management

Was a Dental Grading Chart used and if so how far advanced is the Dental disease ?

Grade 1 stage of disease may involve minor malocclusion of incisors. The ventral border of the mandible is smooth and of normal bone density. The roots are of optimal length and appear parallel to adjacent teeth. The occlusal surface of teeth are smooth and linear on radiographs. The prognosis is good after occlusal adjustments are made (if needed) and the rabbit is eating an optimal diet.

Grade 2 stage of disease has early radiographic changes. The ventral border of the mandible is thin. There may be root elongation and root divergence from parallel orientation of adjacent teeth. Enlargements of the face or lower jaw may be palpable and there may also be radiographic evidence of bony growth (enlargement). Occlusal adjustments may be needed and with the appropriate diet, the prognosis is good.

Grade 3 stage of disease may be significant enough to be resulting in eating habits and weight loss. These rabbits may have substantial infectious disease. Radiographs demonstrate further thinning of the ventral border of the mandible and less overall bone density. Root elongation may be significant causing pain and discomfort. There is further deviation from the parrallel arrangement of the teeth. The bony protrusions (face and mandibles) may be very significant with marked densities on radiographs. The prognosis is guarded. Bacterial cultures are indicated in many cases.

Grade 4 is an advanced disease process with obvious clinical signs of poor health. The ventral mandible has perforation of very thin bone. There is significant deviation of adjacent cheek teeth from the normal parallel orientation. The occlusal surfaces appear blurry due to variable cheek teeth length. Soft tissue abscesses are common. Surgical intervention along with occlusal adjustments are indicated. Antibiotic coated beads are chosen based on culture and sensitivity testing to treat the soft tissue infections. Dental extraction is often indicated. Rabbits do well with one or two cheek teeth extraxcted however with multiple extractions, occlusal problems are common requiring periodic 6-12 week occlusal adjustments. The prognosis is guarded to poor based on the individual case.

Grade 5 is the most severe stage of dental disease. These animals have moderate to severe weight loss, excessive salivation, eye and or nasal discharge with chronic pain. Infection of bone (osteomyelitis) and soft tissue is present. Radiographic evidence of bone destruction is severe. The dental arcades align poorly. Fractured and missing teeth are common. Prognosis is poor to grave.

Some Rabbits require a few days on Metacam after a Dental, especially if they had a lot of work done and/or if there is soft tissue damage.
Getting him eating ASAP is important to prevent gut stasis. So you need to ask the Vet if he has eaten/poo'd since coming round from the op.

Thank you Jane - I will take this up with the vet and feed back when I pick up TT later - what would we all do without your knowledge and helpful advice?!

Also ask what pain relief he has had and whether he needs to go back tomorrow for a top up injection of pain relief and gut stimulant. Alternatively the vet may give you pain relief to take home. Your bun will be sore for the first 24-48 hours so will need additional pain relief tomorrow.

Also, bun may be reluctant to eat, and may not want to touch pellets for 24-48 hours. To keep his gut moving, try favourite herbs and pellets dipped in water. If he won't touch anything then try a bit of organix or Ella's kitchen veggie baby food. Some buns don't like syringe feeding, so I always try a teaspoon to see if the bun will lick it off. Failing that, then syringe feeding is a last resort in worst case scenario.

Poos may be very small to start with. It is a good idea to monitor poo output and size..they should get bigger during first 24-48 hours.

Back