• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Single bun owners?

Charmednm

Mama Doe
Do you ever feel bad about not having a friend for them, id love to get poppy a wee boyfriend but sometimes i dont think she would take to somebun :/

What does everyone else think?

Last edited:
You don't know unless you try :wave:
I don't feel bad for Donny and Lola now they are together but when they were outside on their own I did. Poppy has us and is in the bedroom freerange so can do what she wants and has fuss nearly all the time. Leo is on his own indoors but we are getting a wifey for him soon :love:

Lord Spenser is a single bun. Although I am aware that this is not ideal, my gut feel is that he has been a spoilt and pampered bachelor for too long to take to another bun.

I think if I was living in my own place I might have tried him with a friend, or if I could trust myself not to fall in love with any potential partner that he might then decide he didn't like!

I do feel bad, Dee is a single bun and has been since 2010. She's 6 now and we can't afford another rabbit, which I will always feel bad about but I can't change that situation and I am now focused on spending as much time with her possible now she is inside, and improve her situation and make her as happy as I possibly can!:wave:

Lord Spenser is a single bun. Although I am aware that this is not ideal, my gut feel is that he has been a spoilt and pampered bachelor for too long to take to another bun.

I think if I was living in my own place I might have tried him with a friend, or if I could trust myself not to fall in love with any potential partner that he might then decide he didn't like!

I think for you sending him away to be bonded would be best, however I don't think that'd be the best thing for Spenser :lol: can't imagine him coping very well away from home but equally I can't see you being tough enough to bond ( ;)) or should that be not bond with the potential wife :love:

Clover hates it when they are outside (in separate runs) and im fussing over poppy i think because shes in the room with me (and sometimes my bed:lol:) she'd get jealous and have to fight for my attention i dont think she is unhappy at all but poppys all alone outside and i feel bad, but i dont have the money or the time/patience to slowly bond a pair thats also putting me off :/

Clover hates it when they are outside (in separate runs) and im fussing over poppy i think because shes in the room with me (and sometimes my bed:lol:) she'd get jealous and have to fight for my attention i dont think she is unhappy at all but poppys all alone outside and i feel bad, but i dont have the money or the time/patience to slowly bond a pair thats also putting me off :/

What rabbits do between bars means nothing on how they will react together/with another :) it's like "you're in my territory!!" But when you bond it's in a place neither has been before so they can't use that on each other.

Donny and Lola used to get very stressed out if they could see each other, they got better but would lunge and box. They couldn't reach each other but they didn't like it. They only took 2 days to bond though:)

I think for you sending him away to be bonded would be best, however I don't think that'd be the best thing for Spenser :lol: can't imagine him coping very well away from home but equally I can't see you being tough enough to bond ( ;)) or should that be not bond with the potential wife :love:

Well, considering that Spenser bit me when I came home from being out for a coffee this morning, then didn't eat his tea while I was out at Brownies tonight ...

What rabbits do between bars means nothing on how they will react together/with another :) it's like "you're in my territory!!" But when you bond it's in a place neither has been before so they can't use that on each other.

Donny and Lola used to get very stressed out if they could see each other, they got better but would lunge and box. They couldn't reach each other but they didn't like it. They only took 2 days to bond though:)

If i could send away poppy to get her bonded id do it in a heartbeat but i know of nowhere near me that does it and i dont have the money to buy a new living space for another bun to bond with her.

Hmmmmmmm....tricky one.

I guess I don't feel too bad. It does make me cross sometimes just how villainised single bun owners are when I think indoor single buns can be very happy, it depends on the situation.

There's no way if Ludo had a wife that they'd live indoors so there are certain advantages to his health with him being indoors, especially as he's, in the words of the vet 'delicate'. For example because he lives in my study/living room and I work from home I see him nearly all the time, so the other day I saw him- just once- do an uncomfortable tummy movement. I could straight away then check his poos and see they were a bit smaller than normal and immediately change his diet. Within 24 hours he was completely back to normal. Had he been outdoors I wouldn't have noticed until later on.

Yeah I feel bad. Would love a husbun for Lola. I want to move first as the flat is not big enough for 4 of us. Plus wait a few months after Lola is spayed.

This is something we've been mulling over a lot. Pudding is indoors and now neutered. I'd like another bun, but I'm not sure he would. He has a really strong bond to both of us, grooms us, jumps on our laps for cuddles, binkys around our feet, etc. He seems so happy - really active but flopping lots too. I'm yet to see him looking bored.
I know people say two are best, but there's no way I could put him through the stress of being sent away to be bonded, given his strong relationship with us. I also know we'd get attached to any other bun we brought in, but don't have the space for two separate territories. And bonding puts me off. I know I'm humanising it, but the idea of putting Pud with another rabbit who may well hurt him stresses me out :oops: We worry it would always feel like 'Pudding and the other rabbit' if the bonding was tricky, which doesn't seem fair on the second rabbit.
As it is, he gets lots of space and attention and he seems genuinely content, so it will stay that way. If he starts to seem unhappy or if our circumstances change and we can't be there for him as much, we'll have to look at taking on another. It's hard!

I sometimes wonder if Doughnut would like a hubby but I've been told she's dominant and independent by vets and I think she seems happy enough with just me. I feel guilty when I'm at work and she's on her own but I couldn't afford two and also would need bigger housing so that would mean her going outdoors which I certainly don't want.

With what she's gone through I wouldn't want to stress her out bonding her now.

My friend has a bun, that they re-homed from us, as he wouldn't bond with my current two and thought it would be better if he found his own wifey :) Sadly his new wifey recently died, but my friend and parents both saying he is much happier now and comes out of his hutch a lot more :D I think some bunnies just prefer being on their own :)

Bella is currently on her own since Boris passed away :( And it does upset me, because she's such a social bunny who really loves company. I think she'll need a new husbun quite soon.

Do you ever feel bad about not having a friend for them, id love to get poppy a wee boyfriend but sometimes i dont think she would take to somebun :/

What does everyone else think?

Totally...my Amber is a single & we have had her from being a baby...in hindsight I wish we had gotten 2 but mustn't dwell! I've been thinking of trying to bond her for a while but have my hang ups since she is a spoiled rotten little madam! :lol:

I got Bella a bf with the intention of moving her outside in spring as hubby said no to 2 indoors, but she just seems so happy inside and just chills out all over the place, so ive decided to keep her indoors and get Woody a gf to live outside with as he has always been an outdoor bunny. Maybe im being selfish keeping her with me but i like having her around and she seems happy, she loves cuddles on the floor :love: maybe in time my hubby will see the 2 bins outside and think Bella could have a friend but then what if she doesn't like him and then i have another single bunny.

Back