• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water bowl problem - NO - Dental problem - YES - Timmy staying in for dental

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
I have a very fwuffy lionhead boy :love::love: who seems to have a very soggy area round his mouth at the moment - the fur has become sodden as well as a little matted (difficult area to groom) - not sure whether his face might also be a little sore on one side too - has anyone come across this before as a concern? I have, this evening, trimmed and dried the area as best as I can and removed the water bowl to see if his face and fur improves and replaced with a good drinking bottle - what do you reckon?? :wave::wave:

Last edited:
How old is your boy bun? I've never had that problem with any of mine from drinking out of a bowl, however, what you describe is a sign of dental problems (possibly molar malocclusion, or molar spurs). I would suggest taking him to the vet to have his teeth checked. Other signs to watch out for are loss of weight and smaller poos.

How old is your boy bun? I've never had that problem with any of mine from drinking out of a bowl, however, what you describe is a sign of dental problems (possibly molar malocclusion, or molar spurs). I would suggest taking him to the vet to have his teeth checked. Other signs to watch out for are loss of weight and smaller poos.

I agree, dental problems are my thoughts too.

our Baxter who weve just lost had the same problem and then it would roll down his dewlap and wed have to trim the fur. He was a frenchie.....and the fur amongst the whiskers on his face would go hard and spikey too.

He did indeed have dental problems and your tale sounds so familiar.

I have had this a number of times with my bunnies and it was either a dental problem or excessive drinking due to a problem such as kidneys or incontinence issues. never had it just from being a fluffy bunny.

Hope your boy is OK xx

I think that sounds like a dental issue too. Common in lionheads. If it is new and he has had a bowl for a fair ammount of time I would put it down to teeth for sure! Is hea eating pellets and hey as normal? I have some pear branches and trigs that i can pop over with for him and the rest of the flock to munch on if you like.
Hope he is ok. And just after harley being poorly too. Text me if you need anything hun xx

Hi all, sorry couldn't get back on last night - page crashed after I'd typed a response :cry::cry::cry: I would be surprised if it was dental but won't rule out your advice - Timmytime is about 3 years old, was thoroughly vet checked when he arrived a couple of months ago - he always had a bottle prior to coming to live with me but now he and his blind wifey have both. I am fortunate enough to never have had a dental bun but if this turns out to be the case I will be needing your advice (although I have learned so much already) His diet is perfect now he's with me, before then his bottom was a real mess now it's spotless! They have SS, unlimited hay and herby stuff, greens in the evening so no concerns there.

Helen - fruit tree branches would be GREAT please - my apple tree is rather bald at the moment!

Also Harley my head tilt boy is doing AMAZING - after his course of Panacur and abx he is 98% straight up now :lol::lol: he never stopped eating or drinking and remained good throughout apart from the 'very distressing to watch' toppling over episodes - maybe a little bit of hope there for others worried about their buns who contract EC - it was a first for me and my gang and I was distraught but there is hope x

Last edited:
You might be right :(:( - Timmytime's mouth is the same if not worse this morning and he has a slightly watery eye now on the same side - I have seen him drinking from his bottle but his face/mouth is still bad - I will be taking him to the vets a bit later - bless him x Thank you all x

VET APPT 12.30PM TODAY

Last edited:
Poor boy :cry: I hope the Vet can help him to feel more comfortable. I'd ask him/her to have a good check for any sign of a Dental abscess xx

Good luck with it. Poor TimmyTime he is just too darn cute for words! Loves for the fluffster!:love:

I'm all afternoon today and tomorrow. If you want me to come over with them I can =) x

Update 13:30 Tues - staying in for dental - VIBES needed

Took 'Timmytime' for his appointment - he has indeed got a dental problem :cry::cry: -vet says he also has a gap where there is a tooth missing (healed up from a while ago) - they have managed to squeeze him in straightaway in their lunch break :thumb::thumb: and will be sorting it. I have text Timmy's previous owner to ask if she can shed any light on previous dental issues or the missing tooth mystery.

If it wasn't for RU members 'insistence' (in a nice way) that it was more likely to be dental issue - he might have not gone to the vets for a while longer than today. Timmy is my first ever dental bun in 4 years of having buns - so now I know I will be more aware.

All help and advice will of course be much appreciated. I am aware that dental issues are usually ongoing for ever but I have a little hope that now he's with me on the correct diet (and in love :love:) it may not be as bad as can happen.
Vibes for my little fluffy, tufty boy would be much appreciated x

Back