• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

may have 2 accidental litters

cooldarls

Alpha Buck
I have 2 rescued german lops girls and put them in a run next to my male german lop. Went out this moring feed and check on them all and everything was fine. Been out with the dog and came back in to find my male lop in with the girls. He was with the agouti and white one when i noticed through the window and when i got out he was with the black butterfly. He has chewed a hole through the wire. Didnt think they could do this. I have had rabbits for the past25 years and never known bunnies to chew through the wire.

Someone told me it is 31 days till the babies are born, never had tiny baby bunnies and its alittle worrying but hopefully people on here will be able to help me out.

I would definitely recommend emergency spays, as Graham suggests. Unless you can afford to have *all* the babies spayed and buy new setups suitable for them all, it's pretty much the only option. There are tonnes of rabbits in rescues, and rehoming through preloved etc is dangerous as you really don't know where they're going to go to. In my opinion, if you bring baby bunnies into the world you are responsible for them for their entire lives.

Bunnies can chew through chicken wire but can't chew through welded square/rectangular mesh. I'd recommend replacing your mesh with that or replacing the run for one with that type of mesh. That should prevent future problems. :wave:

Not got any experience, but would agree with GrahamL's suggestion.

If you do end up with babies there will be folk on here who can advise, there have been a few accidental litter threads recently. Not ideal, but it does happen.

If its just occurred today, you could have them emergency spayed?

That would be my thought, too.
I assume you would be having them spayed, anyway, for health reasons if nothing else, so I think I would consider an emergency spay.

I agree with the others. All I want to add is that perhaps you would like to reconsider the safety of your runs. If rabbits can chew through them, it won't be difficult for a fox to do the same. :(

I too would get the Does to the Vet tomorrow to get them spayed. As you say they are 'Rescues' you wont have a clue of their genetic history. You could bring lots of problems into the world :cry: One that is already full of Rabbits who do not have a home

Also, say each litter consisted of 6 kits. Can you provide adequate care for another 12 Rabbits in terms of space, vaccinating and neutering costs, feeding, unforseen Veterinary attention.

I honestly think you need to give extremely careful thought to risking allowing any possible conception to proceed. Personally I cant see that it would be in the best interests of either the Does or any Kits who may be born. Kits who may carry genetic problems that will effect them for their whole life :cry:

The trouble with chicken wire is it tends to have a bit of give and if they bend it back and forth it can break and then unravel. He's done well to make a hole big enough for a german lop though! Weld mesh is more sturdy so that would be good to go for when you are repairing it.

I'd echo what others have said about emergency spay. Two litters is a lot of costs, time and responsibility so getting them spayed is definitely something to consider. If you did you could also then bond them together and just remove the mesh between the runs - I did that chopped out the mesh and made one big pen :)

I too suggest speying them tomorrow
You really must look at your security as you posted not long ago about your male letting himself out of his hutch and hopping round the garden..as he too was from an accidental litter..and the two girls are also from an accidental litter..your aquaintancies seem to be very careless about keeping their un neutered rabbits apart and really a lesson should have been learned from those incidents
if they were all accidents then the breeding may well not be great..another reason to spey ASAP
Hope the speys go well :D

Yep, agree with the others. I know for a lot of us money is tight but perhaps if you explain to your vet they would be prepared to help by setting up some sort of weekly payment plan agreement - worth a go if you haven't got the cash now. If not, think about getting at least one done. We had a litter of 7 born to one of the rescue buns and because I am so worried about what would happen to any bun in the big wide world, we are keeping all of them!

Today we have had three adult girls speyed and one male neutered. We still have one girl and one boy to go. Then we focus on the babies' vaccinations before starting the neutering / speying for those too. It is a massive commitment as you are obviously aware being a bun owner yourself :wave:

Hey everyone sorry for that late reply just been hectic I had had both girlies spayed. They were going to get done anyway to go with my male. But the plan was he was getting done first so its just been done backwards. My mesh on my runs is the stuff you suggested except in the middle. Dad thought it would be strong enough for bunnies but its been changed now. Thanks for all your help and support

Yep, agree with the others. I know for a lot of us money is tight but perhaps if you explain to your vet they would be prepared to help by setting up some sort of weekly payment plan agreement - worth a go if you haven't got the cash now. If not, think about getting at least one done. We had a litter of 7 born to one of the rescue buns and because I am so worried about what would happen to any bun in the big wide world, we are keeping all of them!

Today we have had three adult girls speyed and one male neutered. We still have one girl and one boy to go. Then we focus on the babies' vaccinations before starting the neutering / speying for those too. It is a massive commitment as you are obviously aware being a bun owner yourself :wave:

I definatley know about the cost of bunnies. I have 9 all rescued and loving life. 2 frenchies. 3 german. 2 mini lops. 1 dwarf lop and a cross lop. Love them all to bits

Glad you got them sorted. I'd have expected chicken wire to be okay just between bunnies too, obviously your chap really liked the ladies! I hope that means bonding goes well for you when he's ready too :lol:

Back