PDA

View Full Version : Toys and Playthings

LionheadLuver
25-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Hey

I'm wondering if my rabbits are bored. They have a few toys (that they can throw around) which I've never seen them play with, and a couple of tunnels, which they chew and run through. I try to get them willow balls as much as I can because they love them (they like them so much, they devour one in just one night :shock:).

I'm thinking I should be giving them a willow ball or similar every day, but with a price tag of around 3-4 for one willow ball, this would be too expensive. They also can't have treats or sweet things as they have sensitive digestions. What cheap things can I give them that don't take up too much room as still want them to have running space?

fruitandnutcake
25-02-2013, 03:50 PM
toilet rolls stuffed with hay & a couple of fenugreek crunchies inside.

LionheadLuver
25-02-2013, 03:53 PM
toilet rolls stuffed with hay & a couple of fenugreek crunchies inside.

is that safe for them to chew, as they will chew anything?

Also, another question, how many toys should they have?

aatkin
25-02-2013, 04:09 PM
My bunnies have gone nuts for this Chill n' Chew Mat (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003MX9X7S/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)! It provides entertainment and gives them something to destroy. And it's cheap than the wicker balls (which they also love).

I use the loo roll tube stuffed with hay too, but I also made a small ball out of loo roll tube - I cut it into rings (about eight-ish), then slipped them over eachother to form a ball - then I popped some of their pellets inside so it rattles around (and everyone once it a while they get one out to eat). They can also pick it up and carry it or throw it!

Amy104
25-02-2013, 04:09 PM
Cardboard is fine to chew, they love shreading it to peices, but I would remove it if the bunny appears to actually be eating it.

susie bun
25-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Chill-n-chew mat lasts Spenser a good long while - I got it from The Hay Experts. :wave:

Elena
25-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Personally I wonder if rabbits are a bit too intelligent for 'toys'. I provide some (throw around type toys cos sometimes they release a bit of aggression throwing them around!!) but they don't very often play with them. Mine much more enjoy exploring so tunnels, levels, changing stuff around, etc.

Neleh
25-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Why not grow a woody plant the can chew the pruned branches of? I have a pear tree and my buns go crazy for the bits I prune off. You get some of your 5 a day too! Mine all toss the branches around, carry them off and really enjoy devouring them ( the twigs look like cigars or something lol). Keeps ghem busy and looks arfter their gnashers, perfect!