• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toys and Playthings

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hey

I'm wondering if my rabbits are bored. They have a few toys (that they can throw around) which I've never seen them play with, and a couple of tunnels, which they chew and run through. I try to get them willow balls as much as I can because they love them (they like them so much, they devour one in just one night :shock:).

I'm thinking I should be giving them a willow ball or similar every day, but with a price tag of around £3-4 for one willow ball, this would be too expensive. They also can't have treats or sweet things as they have sensitive digestions. What cheap things can I give them that don't take up too much room as still want them to have running space?

My bunnies have gone nuts for this Chill n' Chew Mat! It provides entertainment and gives them something to destroy. And it's cheap than the wicker balls (which they also love).

I use the loo roll tube stuffed with hay too, but I also made a small ball out of loo roll tube - I cut it into rings (about eight-ish), then slipped them over eachother to form a ball - then I popped some of their pellets inside so it rattles around (and everyone once it a while they get one out to eat). They can also pick it up and carry it or throw it!

Cardboard is fine to chew, they love shreading it to peices, but I would remove it if the bunny appears to actually be eating it.

Personally I wonder if rabbits are a bit too intelligent for 'toys'. I provide some (throw around type toys cos sometimes they release a bit of aggression throwing them around!!) but they don't very often play with them. Mine much more enjoy exploring so tunnels, levels, changing stuff around, etc.

Why not grow a woody plant the can chew the pruned branches of? I have a pear tree and my buns go crazy for the bits I prune off. You get some of your 5 a day too! Mine all toss the branches around, carry them off and really enjoy devouring them ( the twigs look like cigars or something lol). Keeps ghem busy and looks arfter their gnashers, perfect!

Back