• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have 2 rabbits,should I give homes to more?

Zoobec

Staff member
I have 2 three month old rabbits, they are sisters. I bought them from a local breeder :oops: after trying the rspca with no luck. I didn't know about this forum at the time (found it as a result of googling do 2 female rabbits hump, because they were humping each other the first time they went into the run lol!) and now I feel really embarrassed and quite sad that I didn't get 2 rescue ones, having realised the barc have loads of rabbits :oops: Obviously we love these 2 to bits and wouldn't part with them but I really feel for the ones in rescue. The original hutch we had was too small and I have managed to buy 2 second hand double hutches that are each 5ft long, 2ft deep and 4ft high. They have been joined downstairs and each hutch has a ramp leading to upstairs.
i have several options:-
1: give my 2 girls this whole space along with the attached run.
2. join upstairs too giving a me 2 10ft x2ftx2ft hutches and remove ramps. and rehome a pair of rabbits. but it would be difficult to provide the upstairs pair attached run access.
3. Split the 2 hutches giving 2 5ftx2ftx2ft double hutches and rehome a pair into one. But then the length isn't the 6ft ideal.
4. Rehome one or more and try a group in the whole setup.

I don't mind buying another run if needs be.
I haven't had more than one rabbit at a time before my latest pair, so although I have lots of rabbit experience including a very aggressive rex I haven't had any experience of a group before...
Any ideas on what I should do?
My 2 girls are vaccinated but not spayed as yet although my vet said he could do anytime due to their size. They are still in my original hutch because I've been disinfecting the new ones!
Sorry to go on, I could have probably said this in half the space!

Last edited:
If you have the money, time and permission for another pair of rabbits then go for it

Vaccinations Myxo and VHD combined anual vaccination costs £25-40 [depending on vets] per rabbit [Discounts may be given for multiple rabbits.
Spaying/Castrating costs £60-100 per rabbit
And you've already got hutches, so don't need to worry about buying them

If you did adopt another pair, for each setup I'd have one 5ft hutch attached to a 5x5 ft exercise run. [The minimum area should be 24ft (6x4)] therefore 5x5 provides an extra foot inside however this the the minimum and there's no reason why you cannot provide larger if you decide to.

Check out these links on the forum, to get additional housing ideas
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?311878-Outdoor-Housing

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?304613-Indoor-Housing

Welcome to the forum :wave:

ETA: Any rabbits can mount each other, it's a sign on dominating. This usually starts to occur at 3/4months + when the hormones start to kick in.
It's great you're deciding to spay them, this will prevent any fights occurring during their hormone level changes. And you eliminate the risk of uterine cancer which affects 80% of females after the age of 3 [Not sure on the exact age]

Last edited:
As you already know, recommended hutch length is 6ft - your two joined together sound good.

If it were me, I would give priority to original pair of bunnies, giving them as much space as possible.

Thanks for the replies, certainly food for thought! Anyone else got any opinions on this?

I got Doughnut from a breeder as I looked at rescues near me and they were dogs and cats, didn't realise there were rabbit ones.

I couldn't afford to get another rabbit. She is indoors and very spoilt. For me it would be money and space and also she's been ill so I wouldn't risk bonding too.

I've got pet insurance now but just wondered if you have and can afford to look after four rabbits. Doughnut has cost me £1,500 so far in vets bills and although her case may be unusual when rabbits are ill the fees do add up if they are not insured and if they are you will then have to pay for four lots of insurance as well.

I don't want to put you off as I think it's great to offer a home to rescue rabbits but just don't want you to be short of money and then have to rehome them again.

I would stick with the two you've got and give them maximum space and attention. It would be a shame to be short of cash or time to spend on them.

Sounds like a fab big home for two. Don't feel guilty about the way you got them. At least you know where to go if you ever do want to get another pair.

J.x

Why not help out at a rescue if you feel guilty? I've advertised rabbits for rehoming and they have found homes.

I don't feel guilty as I would have another rabbit and not my gorgeous Doughnut if I got a rescue rabbit and I know I'm giving her the best home possible. I would get a rescue rabbit if I got another one though as know more about it now and realise how many need good homes.

Hi :wave:
Personally I would concentrate on the two you have. I have two and they keep me busy enough and don't have room for any more! Please don't feel guilty about not getting them from a rescue centre, they are obviously going to very well looked after and will get lots of love and attention :)

Thanks for the advice. Good point re the vets fees/insurance, I prefer to insure than gamble but I could afford 3 or 4 insurances if I did get more rabbits. I could offer to help at a rescue and or donate, but I would like to be more involved with the animals themselves. And I'd get very attached to them all!
Any other opinions on my options?

Back