• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbit

amie944

Young Bun
Hi,
I have recently become a rabbit owner after my guinea pig died, I decided to get a house rabbit as a love all animals. He is called buddy and is so lovely and friendly. Eats out my hand and comes and sits on my knee for food but I cannot pick him up at all. I have had him a week now and we have gotten very close, he loves his runs around the room. He is a French lop and about 4-5months old, I know I need to get him neutered soon. Does anyone have any tips on how I can pick him up without him wriggling and kicking his back legs please? He is fine with everything else and very lively and hyper at times.
Many thanks,
Amie & Buddy

Some rabbits just don't like to be picked up, but he maybe he kicks out because he doesn't feel secure when you hold him? You need to make sure you use 2 hands when attempting to pick up a rabbit, one hand must ALWAYS be supporting their bottom with the other holding them underneath their front legs.. Also a week is quite new still, there's probably so much going on that he just wants to explore!

Some rabbits just don't like to be picked up, but he maybe he kicks out because he doesn't feel secure when you hold him? You need to make sure you use 2 hands when attempting to pick up a rabbit, one hand must ALWAYS be supporting their bottom with the other holding them underneath their front legs.. Also a week is quite new still, there's probably so much going on that he just wants to explore!

Thanks for the reply, I do try to put two hands but when I first put my hand at the front to support his front legs, he's starts to wriggle and kick. I suppose a week is very soon, he has done very well to be so confident and comes and sits on my knee nicely.
Thanks again.

I'm sure in time he'll calm down and not be nervous when you try to pick him up, it must be quite scary for a bun when we just go in and scoop them up :lol: like giants

my first ever bun years ago was very nervous when I'd try to pick him up, but in time he was fine :D enjoy your new bun, he sounds lovely, and post some pics for us :love:

Thanks for the reply, I do try to put two hands but when I first put my hand at the front to support his front legs, he's starts to wriggle and kick. I suppose a week is very soon, he has done very well to be so confident and comes and sits on my knee nicely.
Thanks again.

He's not used to being handled in those areas so doesn't understand. I would start by stroking him and gently stroking those areas behind the front legs and by his bum. He may not understand at first but eventually by incorporating it into normal strokes he should get used to your hand being in those places. Then you can start lifting him slightly for a couple of seconds.

This may help as well...

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/handling.asp

Most rabbits dislike being picked up and carried though, it's very normal for rabbits to much prefer being on solid ground.

Some buns just don't like bing picked up at all. But it is very eary days yet, and in time he will get used to being handled if you do it regularly for short amounts of time. For muns that don't like being held, trying to pick him up from a kneeling or sitting position is better as they are not so high up (just in case he wriggles free and jumps).

Agreed with what everyone else says. Most bunnies don't like it whereas others may just tolerate it. A week is also a very short time, we have had Mylo for almost a year and it is only in the last few weeks or so that she has not kicked/scratched everywhere when picked up (not that we pick her up very often ;))

Hi :wave:
Sounds a lovely bun. Neither of mine are not keen on being picked up either, I had to cut some claws yesterday and I got both back paws done and started on the front paws and that was it he wanted to be off!! So i will do it bit by bit til we get there as I don't want to stress him out and I've had him 18 months and took a while to get to this stage. My buns like to come to me, it may sound odd, but i lay on the floor and they crawl over me and give nose rubs to me or sometimes they will come and nudge our feet and pull our jeans if they want a fuss.
Give it time, I am sure he will be affectionate in his own way :)

I dont really pick Bella up, she is not keen on it and wiggles about and kicks, so if i do have to pick her up i get my chest down as close as poss and get the to it as fast as i can so they dont get chance to buck about, then i hold her nice and secure, try and put them down the same way, getting clise to the floor seems to work for me, but yes they dont seem to lke being held, cuddled etc.

I'm sure in time he'll calm down and not be nervous when you try to pick him up, it must be quite scary for a bun when we just go in and scoop them up :lol: like giants

my first ever bun years ago was very nervous when I'd try to pick him up, but in time he was fine :D enjoy your new bun, he sounds lovely, and post some pics for us :love:

He's not used to being handled in those areas so doesn't understand. I would start by stroking him and gently stroking those areas behind the front legs and by his bum. He may not understand at first but eventually by incorporating it into normal strokes he should get used to your hand being in those places. Then you can start lifting him slightly for a couple of seconds.

This may help as well...

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/handling.asp

Most rabbits dislike being picked up and carried though, it's very normal for rabbits to much prefer being on solid ground.

Thanks for the help, I will slowly try and hopefully he will get use to it.

Back