• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice for Alice AGAIN!

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
I need to wash her feet with salt water twice a day and apply a cream.
This is becoming increasingly distressing for her (and me) and she's just actually squeaked at me so given up till she calms down.
Any tips please? I hate it as much as she does and becoming harder and harder to do :cry:

I have this problem with my boy. He gets very distressed and upset at just having cream put on his feet. Wrapping in a towel doesn't work and I had to resort to trancing him. :cry: :cry: I hate doing it but I was worried he would struggle and hurt his back. I would not recommend anybody do this and I only did it a few times and decided it wasn't worth it. (I believe trancing is cruel and should only be used on rare occasions)

The only thing I can suggest is maybe try doing it with her face in the crook of your arm so you are facing towards her bum and lift her feet back over and bathing them with a wet cloth/cotton wool. This is how I had to put the second of Fiver's dressings on last night and although it is a bit awkward it is much less stressful. If you decide to do it this way then watch the teeth!

Oh bless her. :( I don't have experience to offer advice, but Alice may also be picking up on your distress so could you pretend to be more relaxed about it than you really feel?

Sending vibes and hugs. xx

Thanks.
Tried wrapping her in a towel today but she fought her way out.
In the end I had to put her greet bowl in front of her and put her on the table with the heel of her feet hanging over the end.
It seemed to work but she will get fat from the treats and she poo'd on me twice :lol:

Ah bless her. Is she on metacam too? I can imagine the salt will help the healing but in adults it's painful!

I wouldn't worry about her getting a bit tubbier. I used to be strict with the pellets for Doughnut now I've been advised for her to plump up a bit more. Her stomach looks lower to the floor and her legs look stumpy.

It's great the way we get round all the obstacles and find new ways to do things. How's she doing today?

It's so difficult when you are trying to help a bunny that doesn't want to be helped. This has happened on many occasions with bunnies I have known over the years. You have to gauge what needs to be done to help them and balance that with any distress it causes them.

Either way not pleasant, but you have to help them. If only they could understand.........sometimes they do though.

Best of luck with sweet Alice.:love::love:

Back