• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Hasnt eaten for days, back from Vets, still not eating.....advice?

gizmobunny

Young Bun
Hi all

Gizmo is now 4years and 6 months netherland dwarf. Last week was a happyish bunny, had 1 day where he wouldnt eat, Honey bun stole all the food (quite normal) Giz went back to normal the next day.

A Few days later noticed he didnt come running when we went to see them, was very sleepy and noticed then still not eating or drinking and now getting small/skinny. Took to the vet, advised they need to operate asap as his teeth were more than likely the problem, spurs and abcess etc due to overgrown teeth. They advised he might not make it through as he was weak from not eating. He did make it, but is still the same, some 36 hours later, they also injected him with something to make him hungry!

He will now not eat hay or pellets, he had 1 blade of grass, a tiny bit of Banana a tiny bit of parsley and everything else he just turns his head up! We have a lot of things he wont eat, He is on his own to let us monitor his toilet habits, very very very tiny poops, almost like grits of dirt, and a few wee's. He hasnt drunk at all so we are injecting water with probiotic into his mouth :( This will only help if he eats hay. We have tried differnt hays and he just isnt interested, all he does is sleep and mope around.

Anyone experienced something similar? He also makes a strange noise with his teeth, which is what made the Vet say about the teeth.

Hope someone can help He has another appointment for a check up but without his Hay and water i cant see him making it much longer!?

Thanks all

Has he had daily pain relief since his dental? He would have been very sore, especially if he had molar spurs growing into his cheeks/tongue etc. so The vet should either have given you metacam to syringe into his mouth each day, or asked you to go back for extra top up of injectable metacam and gut stimulants.

If he doesn't eat anything, then he needs to go back to vet ASAP, as it will be an emergency. In the meantime, try soaking pellets in water, as this is what my pebbles has been eating since he got back from vets yesterday afternoon. If that doesn't tempt him, then some pureed fruit/veg or mushed banana if you don't have any veggie baby food to hand.

Last edited:
Are you also syringe feeding him?

The grinding noise means he is in pain. If you vet hasn't suggested either of these things then s/he isn't clued up about rabbits.

Lots and lots of vibes.

I would echo what the others have said.

Firstly he needs pain relief asap and until he is eating on his own. If his teeth have damaged his cheeks or tongue his mouth will be sore. Metaclopromide will help his appetite but again, he may still need more.

Oxbow critical care is very good to have in your first aid kit in the future as it is a food which you can syringe and I always find mine pick up once they have had some of this (the fine blend one is easier to syringe). If you don't have any, then pellets mushed up and left to cool can be given by syringe. Also you could try some of th HIPPS baby foods (only veg/fruit type ones of course).

I also tend to have some herbs, kale, thyme, carrot tops and grated carrot to try to tempt them to eat.

I hope he feels better soon.

If it is grinding noises then I would go back asap as that means pain but i would consider going to a different vet if he wasn't given any pain relief!

Thanks for coming back so quick.

We were given no pain relief :( only a sachet pro biotic, but as Giz isnt drinking its hard to get the 100mls in him per day.

Giz is eating very small amounts of banana, kale, parsley but tends to only have a few bits then stops.

We have just tried the pellets with water and he made a funny noise, not sure if its grinding, its crossed between that and squeaking. So went back to just the water, then got very sleepy.

Is it 'ok' that he is eating small amounts off veg/fruit but no fiber or water (on his own)?

Thanks all...

Just noticed in your first thread he was eating banana, try that mixed in with the pellets to see if it will encourage him to eat. If you can get to a shop for some other veg to tempt him too. I find that the stronger smelling ones i.e. thyme or coriander are the first to go.

If you can get him to eat some of the sloppy pellets he will take in some fluids from the added water.

Some of the veg you have will have some water in but if he is not eating a lot anyway..........

Try a bowl of water with a dash of boiling in to make it tepid, see if he will take some like that (maybe even put the end of the syringe in the banana so he thinks he is getting that ;) Mine like to drink it tepid out of the bowl themselves.

He really does need to get some pain relief asap so he can start to eat for himself. Does your vet have anyone there who could give you some tonight.

What area are you in? If you are anywhere near Wirral I could let you have some oxbow critical care.

Poor Gizmo :( He definitely needs pain relief asap, and probably more drugs to get his stomach moving. If you phone the emergency vet and explain that he recently had a dental and still isn't eating they may be able to give you the meds without a big out of hours fee. Sending lots of vibes for Gizmo xx

Thank you all again for your help!

We will call them and see what they say! Also going to search for another vet, I really dont think it was ever his teeth, I have a feeling its been his tummy and they didnt pick it up :(

Im in Somerset, so a little far! But thank you!

Get out the the local shop too and see if they have any herbs.

Fingers crossed!

Thank you all again for your help!

We will call them and see what they say! Also going to search for another vet, I really dont think it was ever his teeth, I have a feeling its been his tummy and they didnt pick it up :(

Im in Somerset, so a little far! But thank you!

Get out the the local shop too and see if they have any herbs.

Fingers crossed!

Just a little far ;) Defo get some in for future though.

Ask on here is there are any bunny savvy vets in Somerset (inlcude your location in the title). If his mouth has been sore he won't eat which in turn gives them tummy problems. Did they go through what they did in the dental e.g. spurs, was there any lesions in the mouth.

Hi gizmobunny,

Where in Somerset are you? I'm looking for a good bunny vet at the moment so any hints on any good or not so good vets would be brill!

Thanks,
Kat

How is Gizmo doing?

I hope you managed to get some pain relief. Our vet alwasy gives us Empremid(sp?) which is a gut stimulant that can be given orally but the most important thing is pain relief. Bunny won't want to eat if they are in pain.

Hi gizmobunny,

Where in Somerset are you? I'm looking for a good bunny vet at the moment so any hints on any good or not so good vets would be brill!

Thanks,
Kat

I have a feeling that someone recommended a vet in Bridgwater - don't know how far that is from you.

ETA
Found it: It is from GrahamL - a very experienced rabbit owner (from Burnham) -

"As you are in bridgy, have you tried Blake veterinary group? They are down by the mini / BMW garage before the motorway roundabout / services?

I can recommend several vets there as that's where the emergency surgery is for my branch"

Last edited:
Back