• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Am I panicking? Some cecals in hutch

sashababe

Warren Scout
Yesterday I noticed a few smaller than usual poos in the run (not tiny, just smaller than normal) and this afternoon there is a very small cluster of cecals in the hutch. I have never seen cecals in with them before. My buns are together so not 100% sure who it is, both are eating normally and seem OK, no mucky bums, but Marble hasn't been out in the run as much as usual. I wouldn't say he is lethargic as he is still climbing all over me when I lean in to check on him and is eagerly taking food from my hand, but am panicking in case it's something serious. Can this wait until first thing tommorrow or does he need to see a vet immediately? I tried to get an appointment with an open vet but no luck so it would be an emergency appointment which I am willing to do, but obviously don't want to call them out if I am over-reacting (as is not unusual for me!)

Have you changed anything n their diet recently or given them more veg/pellets than usual?

My Willow always have excess caecals as she eats the boys pellets as well as her own if she gets a chance and also has a sensitive tum

Yes sorry I forgot to add they have had a couple of changes to diet recently - I got some new hay from hay4pets (the Timothy and Rye) whereas they have always been on meadow hay before, but I have kept both types still available. The other possibility is a new type of cabbage (they are used to cabbage but this is the sweetheart variety and they usually have the plain one) which I introduced a couple of days ago. They have only had a medium leaf between both of them but guess this could be enough to upset the balance?

So overall probably OK to not go to vets tonight then? If he's not himself in the morning I will of course get an appointment and can monitor him all evening

I am not an expert by ANY stretch but if its for one night and you think it MAY be attributable to that, would just monitor but clearly if it goes on, it may continue to something more serious..,

If I see caecals like that I put mine on a hay only diet for a few days till it dries up...Usually works!

Good luck

PS iam sure someone more knowledgeable will be happy to advise you:thumb:

Back