• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have a plan!!

hunniebunniex

Young Bun
My bunny is 2 and a half and has been an outdoor bunny since we got her at 8 weeks. The main reason for this is because our house was owned by my husband's dad and he was strictly "no pets in the house"...over the last 2 years Amber's outdoor set up has expanded and she has always seemed happy being an outdoor bun. However recently bought and now own our home and we were thinking about moving Amber indoors! Eeeek! We feel like we miss out on so much of her character having her outside! So do you guys think this is a good idea moving her indoors after she has lived out for so long?
We now have a spare room so we are looking at decorating the room and setting her up in there. So who has indoor buns here and who has outdoor buns? Any of you moved outdoor buns indoors before?

Helen x

I have both, both of my indoors used to live outdoors. One took to using his litter tray straight away but the other took a few weeks before she more or less used it all the time. Poppy had a dog crate which we used to shut her in over night for her litter tray and water bowl but we got rid of it because it was in the way and looked horrible in the room and it wasn't big enough at all, even with a puppy pen attached she would chew the bars and get frustrated, she has complete free range now and her litter tray is in a box my bf made her.

As long as you bunny proof properly and have an area with an indoor cage or storage box for a litter tray and filled with hay, then it will be fine :)

Have a look in the indoor housing sticky thread or the general housing section for some ideas.

Last edited:
I have both, both of my indoors used to live outdoors. One took to using his litter tray straight away but the other took a few weeks before she more or less used it all the time. Poppy had a dog crate which we used to shut her in over night for her litter tray and water bowl but we got rid of it because it was in the way and looked horrible in the room and it wasn't big enough at all, even with a puppy pen attached she would chew the bars and get frustrated, she has complete free range now and her litter tray is in a box my bf made her.

As long as you bunny proof properly and have an area with an indoor cage or storage box for a litter tray and filled with hay, then it will be fine :)

Have a look in the indoor housing sticky thread or the general housing section for some ideas.

Thanks :thumb: I don't think the litter bit will be too much of a challenge as she is very clean in her hutch, and when she pops in the house she always goes in her tray...aside from the odd stray poop! The bunny proofing thing will be the biggest task as Amber is a major chewer! :lol: I think I will have to inverst in those wire cover thingys! Thanks for the advise I will have a look at the sticky thread x

My buns moved indoors a couple of years ago. Bunny proof all wires using cable tidies ( I double layer them now) protect wallpaper (I'm still working on that one :lol:) and protect settees especially if they are leather ( I didn't realise until after they had chewed all the corners and along the bottom :shock:). I don't have carpet, but if you do, that will need protecting too!

I love having my buns indoors..and when given the oppotunity to go out, they usually choose to come back in after a little while and lounge around! My Chloe is so much tamer since being an indoor bunny, and I get to spend so much more time with them :love::love:

edit: I did away with indoor cages as bases and now just use underbed storage boxes as litter trays.

Here is Poppy's when she first came indoors. I thought the crate was huge, which it is, but not big enough to be shut in and she was only shut in over night which, when I thought about it, was cruel of me because that's when she was awake and wanted to let off some steam. She now belts around the bedroom at 4 in the morning whereas before she couldn't. Even with the puppy pen attached :)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?285604-Poppy-s-new-boudoir!

A little later one -

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?329302-Poppy-s-room-)

Poppy's room now - (older pics)

DSC_0135_zpsedbeb886.jpg

DSC_0136_zpse04b9af5.jpg

DSC_0137_zpsf0689ad6.jpg

Leo's room now -

IMAG2416_zps7a52652e.jpg

IMAG2417_zpsaec8e8f0.jpg

Awh poppy & leo's set ups are fab! I love leo's room :love: We have one of those large metal pens which we used to use for Amber when we brought her in the house now & again, to section off one area of the dining room so she couldn't get into any mischeif....well she can jump over it! :oops: She's a little tinker! :lol: x

Did they settle in ok? What set up do you have? I was thinking about getting a large dog crate and leaving the door open so she can free range when we are around :) x

I started to reply to this and then forgot sorry :roll:

I moved them indoors in Jan because Imogen wasn't well, my parents have decided they can stay as permanent indoor bunnies. Sebastian was a house rabbit when he was a baby and the rescue told me that Imogen was an indoor rabbit previously but have lived outdoors together since November 2011 (Sebastian had a wife before Imogen so he's lived outdoors since May 2010)
I put them in a large dog crate with a puppy pen and they settled in really very quickly and seemed to love it that was until Sebastian discovered he could jump over the top of the pen :lol::lol: now they have a crate and free range in the conservatory (well they would do but they're currently in restricted space due to having a few arguements)
This is a thread to photos of their room http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?378525-From-conservatory-to-bun-room! :)

Awwhh georgeypudding that looks amazing what lucky bunnies you have! I'm thinking i could do something similar to this in our spare room which is like a box room...will have to do a bit arranging & stuff first tho...the other option is to put her in the utility room but then i worry that she might get into bother, like getting behind the fridge & things! x

if you can remove all the wires from the spare room then it sounds perfect (or make them high up and out of reach!) you don't want her nibbling really important stuff like the fridge :shock: spare room would be my choice :thumb:

The only thing with wires in my spare room is my printer really so I could probably move that into my bedroom no problem. The spare room has a carpet which is a bit old & shabby so I might see if I can take it out & fit a bit of cheap laminate...its only a small room so shouldn't cost too much. I will keep you all updated & get some photo's on when it's done! :D

Did they settle in ok? What set up do you have? I was thinking about getting a large dog crate and leaving the door open so she can free range when we are around :) x

Hi :wave: My bunny has always been a house bunny, she has a dog crate and has a litter tray in that, she has her bottle in it and one of those daisy wooden chew things on it too, she has thins set up in the kitchen, we have quite a large kitchen diner and her area is the diner half. She has full run of the down stairs which consists of, kitchen and living room, we have a conservatory but the doors are closed to that unless we go in there, she has a litter box in there that she has been using. We are thinking of getting rid of her dog crate and just getting her a bigger litter box and a hay rack above it and some how attaching a bottle to the wall, im sure you can get holders to fix to the wall, im looking forward to doing her a good set up.

We were thinking of putting her outside and have got her a bf who is outside atm but ive decided im keeping her inside and getting a gf for Woody who is outside :thumb: I cant wait!!!!!!

Awwhh georgeypudding that looks amazing what lucky bunnies you have! I'm thinking i could do something similar to this in our spare room which is like a box room...will have to do a bit arranging & stuff first tho...the other option is to put her in the utility room but then i worry that she might get into bother, like getting behind the fridge & things! x

Laminate tends to be quite slippery for bunnies so they tend to avoid running on it. I have a textured wood effect lino which gives them more grip but I still provide some carpet offcuts so they can get some speed up. Their favourite game is to race out of my room, down the landing and back again and then shoot under the bed and round.

This is their room(s)!...

One side of the bed... (they have tunnels under the bed which is a bit like a warren for them)
44ABEC36-6DF9-47B0-B4F6-6F3C8C7F578E-5435-00000A02B2905CC1_zpsb31b2516.jpg

7768B39D-CE8B-4E05-90BD-9560EB2449BB-5435-00000A02B568E409_zpsf4cf36f1.jpg

Other side...
DEBDB09A-3DCC-44C4-AB32-823977FE5BEA-5435-00000A02B7785B56_zps4696f64d.jpg

Landing and study room...
40C047A1-DAC2-4A6A-934E-F8DE98FEB4CE-5435-00000A02BCBE3832_zps431dbff1.jpg

Under the desk...
3B0D017C-9BDC-478C-8875-53EE91A9A02A-5435-00000A02BAB16AE8_zps70fe6ef2.jpg

Back