• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny colic

Drifter123

New Kit
Hi All,

My rabbit has been diagnosed with Ileus. :cry: There are no obstructions showing on the radiographs just lot of gas build up spread around the intestine.

He isn't really wanting to eat or drink and hasn't passed any faeces for about 24 hrs. He has had 3 different injections from the vet and is on fibreplex.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to help him and what I can feed him that is high in fibre?

Thank you :)

Sorry to hear your bun is poorly.

Do you know what medication he was given?

Were you given recovery food to syringe?

Was one of the injections pain relief? He'll need that.
Wet greens, fresh hay, lots of water, fresh herbs and anything he'll eat to get food into him is good. If he won't eat then ask the vet about syringe feeding.
Do you know what caused it? It can be tooth spurs in the mouth (sharp points on the teeth where they don't wear down enough and they cut the cheeks). The pain from this can cause an upset stomach. Also it can be from too much sugar, not enough hay, or too much gassy greens (broccoli, cabbage) or even the new grass shoots that are coming through at this time of year (very starchy).
You can massage your bunny's belly gently if he'll let you to help move the gas towards his bottom. If he lays stretched out and u can see his tummy is big then gently stroke it and press gently as u stroke it to move the gas along. It will hurt a bit so be careful, but I've found this helps my bun.
if he's used to running up and down the stairs then try him at the top of the stairs and as he hops down them that can help to get the gut moving x

He had pain relief and then 2 injections to get the gut moving again.

Not sure what caused it but we think he isn't getting enough fibre as he doesn't really like his hay and mainly eats the grass in the garden. Also think he was dehydrated.

I have been massaging his belly and he seems to really relax whilst I'm doing it.

Thank you for all your advice and best wishes.

Just hope he pulls through! :(

I hope he feels better soon. As others have said getting him to move around and gently massaging the tummy can help.

Don't know if some of the more experienced bun owners could comment, but would infacol or gripe water help in this situation as I have heard of some people use it for gas? Obviously do not give anything unless you check with your vet.

I had a non-hay eating bunny and we put him on Bunny Basics T which is a hay based pellet which helped. There are others out now but I do find BBT good.

I've used infacol before but not sure it helped and my rabbit hated it so I think it was stressful for her. Massaging is the best thing I think - glad your bunny enjoys it! :)
Grass is fine to eat - my bun prefers grass to hay she seems to prefer fresh food. Grass is as good as hay for wearing down teeth and giving fibre but it could be the new shoots that are more sugary at this time of year, that can give gas. There are lots of different hays you can try to try and find one he likes

I get my hay from Hay4pets (meadow and the timothy/rye one as it is stalkier). Some people on here also use Dustfree. I have not tried them yet but have heard their quality is good too.

Grass at this time of year can cause colic - we had to rush Rupert to the vet this time last year due to colic, it was awful - infacol works, and gentle tummy massage - and get bunny moving.

Grass at the time of year (and spring moreso) is too rich for them, especially if they're not eaten much thru winter - try alfafa king timothy hay, its quite green - he might like that, also, ings from hay for pets - mine eat looooads of it.

When Rupert had colic last year, the only thing he'd eat was mushed up pellets x

Been back to the vet tonight and she is pleased with his progress and is almost out of the woods. My friend who is a vet nurse gave me a tip to syringe some pineapple juice and it has obviously worked.

Thank you for all your advice guys :)

Glad he's on the mend - I meant to say, when Rupert was poorly last time, he'd only drink weak ribena - worth a try :D

I'm glad he's getting better xxx

Back