• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny with a poorly tummy :(

iggyperdyandme

Alpha Buck
Hi,

Betty bunny has been to the vets this morning with suspected gi stasis. She has been given some medication to get her tummy moving and a pain killer and we have some rescue remedy stuff to give her every hour or so.

She is still drinking and has had a wee but no poos yet and hasnt eaten.

Is the fact that she is still drinking a good sign?

Is there anything else she can have to 'get her moving again'?

Does anyone have any idea what caused it?

She is a spayed house rabbit, fully vaccinated etc

She has an appointment with our normal vet for tomorrow too but I worry :(

Have you got any fresh herbs such as Mint,Basil,Coriander,Parsley I just kept trying my bunny with anything just to get him to eat something but he loves Mint and parsley etc dandelions are good if ya can find any clean ones :) hope he starts eating soon x

The cause of my bunnys stasis was his teeth after he started eating himself he had to go back in for a dental, did your vet check bunnys teeth at front etc

Last edited:
No didnt think of teeth, thanks. She is going back tomorrow to see normal vet (we had to see the out of hours today) so i will get her to look at the back ones. Her front ones look fine. She had a full health check when we first got her in Aug and she was checked again at her spay in Nov so im hoping she is ok.

I will try the herbs too :)

She has been nibbling hay :D and a carrot (anything at the moment to get her eating). but is now in a ball again.

Thank you for your advice :)

Aww that's good she eaten something on her own (hay) try keep bunny moving about a little bit every hour that helps their guts as well , they can't check their back teeth unless they have a GA my bunny had a couple of spurs on the teeth she could see normally x

:wave: I've had a bun with the same problem. I found that veg and herbs were good especially when the water is left on from rinsing as this helps to get fluids in. It' a great sign that she's eating a little bit as it means her digestion is starting again. Did the vet give you Zantac? That's what I have and it's really good - I have a stash in case it happens again. Did she nibble on any carpet, rugs etc as this could have been the cause. Hope she's feeling better now.xx

Drinking water is good as it will keep her gut hydrated and helps things to keep moving. Wet dandelion leaves are good too my vet says. Dark leafy greens. Normally front teeth look ok - it's the back ones that can do the damage as spurs can grow if they're not wearing the teeth down enough from hay and grass, and the spurs make ulcers in the mouth. The pain makes them stop eating or only able to eat soft stuff, and the lack of eating plus pain from the ulcers can bring on stasis. If a dental is needed then a thorough one under a GA is best.
If your bunny will let you you can massage the tummy a bit in the direction of her bum (from top to bottom) to help keep things moving. I do this to my bun who gets gas or stasis sometimes (which has been brought on by tooth problems) and it helps to pass it and keep things moving.
Wet kale and fresh herbs are good, and clean hay to encourage her to eat it (they dont like it as much when it's a few days old) x

Keep her warm and just keep offering tasty bits and pieces every hour or so, taking away anything uneaten each time.

You could cut some fresh grass, offer bramble leaves, a little grated carrot or apple, rocket leaves, coriander leaf and stalks, parsley, mint, basil.

Is it rescue remedy you have been given? We're you given recovery food to syringe feed?

Thank you for all your advice!

She still is nibbling things and happily woke her brother by jumping on him so I hope we are on the mend. Im not sure what the vet gave her in terms of pain relief but she perked right up after about half an hour.

I don't think it was the carpet. Her brother loves nothing more than to nibble the carpet edges but I have never seen her do it. Doesn't mean she didn't give it a try though...

Im going to go and try to find some dandelions in a bit for her too.

I hope its not her teeth :( But i shall ask the vet in the morning.

Thank you again.

Keep her warm and just keep offering tasty bits and pieces every hour or so, taking away anything uneaten each time.

You could cut some fresh grass, offer bramble leaves, a little grated carrot or apple, rocket leaves, coriander leaf and stalks, parsley, mint, basil.

Is it rescue remedy you have been given? We're you given recovery food to syringe feed?

It is the recovery stuff you can syringe feed. Just add water. I called again and vet said if she is eating again she probably doesnt need it but to give it to her after a couple of hours if she is only grazing. She has eaten a green bean and part of a carrot and loads of hay so we were going to see if she would have some at tea time.

have yours had it before? is it good? am i being a bit over kill even though she has eaten? :)

It's probably critical care you've been given if she doesn't eat.

Doughnut once had an episode of gas, she was hunched in the corner not eating, took her straight to the vets and got injections and also got fibreplex. That's really good stuff,it keeps the gut moving and rabbits love the taste. I always keep some in. She was OK after all of that but I know some rabbits on here have had to have repeat injections.

Herbs or anything fresh is the way to go to tempt eating. Even pick some grass if you have a garden where you know it hasn't been soiled by doggie poop!

Yes mine have has the recovery food. Sometimes they will eat it from a little dish if they are eating a bit again, worth a try before going to the trouble of syringe feeding. It is worth giving as it has good fibre and probiotics.

Is she drinking more than usual or have you noticed her preferring softer foods, like eating a bit of apple but leaving the skin? They can be signs of dental pain. I would get the vet to check her teeth in the morning. Glad she's still nibbling, that's a good sign. Sending lots of vibes for Betty xx

Thank you all

She went back to the vets on monday and her teeth are fine which was such a relief! Our vet is lovely and very good too.

Since she has been eating fine so im hoping it was just a weird fluke or one too many green beans!

Back