• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please for caring for Poppy after a dental

Lottie999

Warren Scout
Hello all *waves*

So Poppy had her second bout of not eating yesterday in just over a month - happy to report she is currently sat with her face buried in her hay box :thumb:

Vet is recommending I take her in for a dental as she has visible but not massive spurs - I was just after some advice really as this will be her first ever dental at the ripe age of 7 - will I need to syringe feed her for a day or so? Is there anything inparticular that I can give to her apart from loads of hay which would stop them forming again/so quickly in the future?

Also, I'm pretty worried about her going under general anaesthetic given her age, my poor little girl.

Hi. My Pebbles has just come back from his 4th molar dental. He has ongoing malloclusion as well as molar spurs. he stopped eating this morning, and my vets were great and took him straight in for a dental. He had the procedure at 3 and was home at 4, bouncing around.

I was worried as last time he was slow to come round from anaesthetic, was groggy and didn't want to eat. This time they did something different (not sure what, but will ask tomorrow when I take him back for more pain relief). I was prepared and got him some favourite baby food (organix or Ella's kitchen ..as long as it is only vegatable/fruit) and herbs, carrot tops, apple, strawberry tops..all his favourite. he had one teaspoon of baby food, but quickly moved on to the strawbery tops and carrot tops. then he ate a little carrot and tried half a fenugreek crunchy. Within an hour and a half he was attempting ss pellets!

But all buns are different, so just make sure have a supply of Poppy's favourite foods. If you are lucky, you probably won't need to syringe food. Pebbles would never take food from a syringe, but will eat baby food from a spoon!

Pebs has never eaten hay ( and I've tried every type) but will now eat a little Oat, Wheat & Barley hay. Reducing down Pebbles pellets actually made his teeth worse, and he went into stasis, so I increased his pellets up and monitored his weight regularly. Sometimes buns look like they are eating hay, when actually they aren't...so other things to try are things like apple/pear/hawthorn branches (and leaves when there are some), grass and rough weeds like oxtongue.

We have managed to go 9 months since last dental ...and I put that down to a larger amount of high fibre science selective pellets...but it's difficult to say if that would work for Poppy.

Many thanks for the reply! I'll have to stockpile her favourite herbs! Would redigrass count as 'grass'?

I think so...I guess it has the same amount of fibre as grass. Though I think some has added vitamin C. I think once molar problems start, there is a very good chance that they will continue. I'm not sure that there is actually a cure, though I know some people have had buns that only ever needed one dental.

My last rabbit had to have a few dentals from about the age of 3 and at first they were every 6 months but gradually the gap was longer until she didn't need them at all,because I managed to get her to eat more hay by cutting back her pellets until she was hardly having any, and once she started eating it she carried on even when the pellets were increased slightly. She never really ate much hay though. She always recovered well from the op, no problems there. She died of old age in December aged almost 9.:cry:

Back