• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shivering?!

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
My Daisy went off her food last night so she had the basic home treatment of metacam, Infacol, boiled tepid water and tummy rubs and within a couple of hours she was back to normal! While I was stroking her and very very gently stroking her tummy she was doing a shivering thing! Ive noticed this before when mine or my friends buns go off their food! I assume it's a pain response as its not constant shivering and it generally starts and stops with the stroking motion! Ive always asssumed that its their way of saying that they have a little pain just where youre stroking! Does anyone know different? Daisy had cold ears so could it just be actual shivering because their body temp has dropped?! Or is at a fear response because they're not feeling well and don't know what's happening?

Sounds like a pain response

Is she pooing OK now. Do remember that what comes out is just as important as what goes in when monitoring gut function. If her poo is tiny/few in number/totally absent I would get her examined by a Vet. Even if she is eating now.

Sorry for rushed reply, hope Daisy will be OK XX

Thank you! I have been on poo patrol (I don't think I'm ever not on poo patrol :lol:), they are both producing a few stringers at the mo as both are starting an early moult, I've been trying to remove excess tufty bits but they are fluff monsters! Daisy's digestive system doesn't function normally anyway as she has caecal dysbiosis and all the normal attempts to cure it have failed! She does produce nice golden poops though and I haven't seen a reduction of size so I'm hoping this was nothing more sinister! It seemed logical the shivering was pain, but just thought I'd ask, Id hate to think its because she was frightened!

She's acting perfectly normally this morning, binkying round for her breakfast :love:

Hi just seen this, just thought I'd say yes the shivering is a pain thing. One of my buns grinds their teeth and my other one shudders. They both show pain differently x

Back