• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need Spaying?

Do female rabbits need neutering, what are the risks if you dont?

I currently have an unneutered doe and it is my first bunny! :D I love her! I have heard a few people say that if they are not neutered they can get illnesses but I don't want to put her through loads of stress because she doesn't really like to be handled and touched constantly but I don't want her to get ill and die if I don't get her neutered.

What should I do for the best?

Personally I would say yes :D as up to 80% of un-neutered female rabbits can get uterine cancer by the time they reach 5 years of age and neutering prevents this. If you do not spay then they may have to undergo the operation in later life if a uterine cancer develops, although usually it is too late and the cancer has already spread :( Also un-spayed doe's can suffer with false pregnancies which is very confusing for them. I got both my girls done when they were 5 months of age and I am so glad I did as I now do not need to worry about them getting uterine cancer :thumb:

Oh and also she will only be in the vets for 1 day and I am sure they will not handle her anymore than is ness :D

Last edited:
My poppy hates being handled but i got her done when she was a year old. She started getting aggressive and had a phantom pregnancy and she was fantastic! was eating later that same day as the spay, still a little doped up and the next morning i woke up to poops! So she recovered EXTREMELY well. Its worth id say!

Personally I would say yes :D as up to 80% of un-neutered female rabbits can get uterine cancer by the time they reach 5 years of age and neutering prevents this. If you do not spay then they may have to undergo the operation in later life if a uterine cancer develops, although usually it is too late and the cancer has already spread :( Also un-spayed doe's can suffer with false pregnancies which is very confusing for them. I got both my girls done when they were 5 months of age and I am so glad I did as I now do not need to worry about them getting uterine cancer :thumb:

This, I've lost a bunny to uterine cancer and it is just as nasty an illness in bunnies as in humans but bunnies don't understand what is happening, when Jem died she was very scared and in a lot of pain :cry:

I would ALWAYS get a female bun spayed now, it's just not worth the risk, with my old bun she was a rescue and too overweight to be spayed when we got her, by the time she lost the weight it was too late, we had one of the top bunny vets in the country and we still lost her :(

Plus her hormones will calm down and you may find her much less moody! She will also be easier to bond if you ever wish to give her a friend.

Back