• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We are moving house, any bunny tips?

MooLou

Warren Scout
ok, as title, me and the good lady are moving house at the end of March and obviously we still have 2 buns to care for during the move...

Our initial plan was pop them both in large box, pop the hutch wholly into the van, drive to the new property (with buns sat in the box in van cab with us), set their hutch up immediately and move them straight in.... does this sound about the best way to do it do you reckon?

only problem is that they may be stuck in the box for a good 45 mins whilst this goes on and thats not great but i cant see a way around it at the moment??

Anyone moved house with buns and got any tips??

ta in advance.

A cardboard box? One of mine destroyed a cardboard carrier in 15 minutes :lol:

Mine are usually in their carriers for around 45 minutes when they go to the vets. They have large carriers, but have always been fine.

As above with the box really. As long as you're moving in the same day you move them it should be fine.

As you have a hutch that's all I would do. When we moved I went beforehand and set it all up before taking OV in her carrier, but she was a house bun :wave: She was stuck in there for a but with noms, water and a loo roll she was fine. :D

I agree with popping them in a carrier. Pack and load everything else first then put them in the carrier last, load them up and unload their stuff first and pop them straight in. Then leaves you free to carry on and them some quiet time in their hutch to relax from the journey with fresh water, hay and maybe a treat. I usually put hay in the carrier with Jenson too, not that he eats much of it, he likes to push it out all over my car!

Sound like a plan to me. Last time we moved I didn't have bunnies but I took the 2 cats to my mums until we'd unloaded everything and were able to have them back to keep them inside for a week or so.

This time I have no Idea what to do as they are in a playhouse which won't go in a van whole and mum and dad are moving with us!

thanks for the advice everyone, ive ordered a proper cat carrier from amazon, i do have a small bunny carrier that i used when they were still tiny and took them to the vets but that was 1 at a time and they are just to big for it now.

i might be back with more questions soon, but if you have any more tips feel free to share... :)

Whenever I've moved house with bunnies I've done one of two things depending on how chaotic/far the move is.

One time I did just put them in a carrier, dismantle the hutch and run virtually as the last job at the house, and then took them in my car to the new pad, where I set up the hutch again as first priority so they could be settling into the back garden while we unpacked the house.

On another occasion where we had an awful lot of work to do, I booked them into boarding for a couple of weeks while we moved house, so I had lots of time to sort everything out properly. They were in a shed attached to a run and the shed was staying behind, and the run was meshed underneath the lawn so it was impossible to dismantle quickly, and I needed to buy and build a new Wendy house and re-do under meshing at the new place. Because that wasn't going to happen overnight and I thought it was better to take my time and work out the best place in the garden for it all, I sent them off to boarding so I could sort it out at my leisure.

Hope the move goes well :wave:

we did consider putting them in boarding for a couple of days whilst we sorted home out but i'm in the position of having to travel for work that same week and the good lady doesnt drive so we need them at home really.

Back