• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breeding Age

fidgetsmum

New Kit
Hi -
I am considering breeding my 2just over 2 year old French Lop Black and White Butterfly doe - but this will be her first litter.
I have heard and read that hips fuse when the does are about a year, and that breeding becomes difficult as a result.
To what extent does this fusing take place? Nothing I have read really explains the implications of this fully.

We have a beautiful orange and white harli / black & white magpie buck who is younger and smaller than her, and i would use him as her breed mate.
However, I don't want to do anything to endanger her or her kits, so is she too old for a first litter?
Both are in beautiful condition and healthy - my doe has never been to the vet other than for her vaccinations.
I bred her mother and her aunt, and they had their litters between the ages of 9 and 12 months. We were going to breed from this doe last year, but the weather was so terrible, we held back. I don't want to breed her in this cold weather, so by the time spring comes she will be about 2 and a half.
Thoughts please...
Thanks
Fidgets mum

Many people on this forum choose to rescue, so you may not find many people able to answer your questions as our bunnies tend to be neutered. This is an excellent thread which may be helpful though:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...re-considering-breeding-then-please-read-this

There are many thousands of rabbits in rescue looking for homes, so I personally would advise against breeding, and if you are looking to take on more bunnies to go to a rescue centre instead :).

:lol::lol: you sure you want to ask this on a pro rescue forum?

It's a good point - but I will only do it if people think it is safe, and they won't be going anywhere. I keep all my rabbits and have both the space and funds to look after all of them until well into their dotage. My rabbits don't live in hutches, they have sheds kitted out with artificial warrens made by me, with access to half an acre of garden during the day, and secure, covered runs at night. they live communally, so live as natural a life as possible for domestic animals.
But I do see where you are going with your question!
Fidgets mum

I don't want to be rude, or come across as rude... but why do you want to breed them? Why can you not rescue a few to join your warren?

There's sooo many rabbit in rescue / waittin to go into rescue, all different sizes, shapes, colours, breeds etc

:thumb:

It's a good point - but I will only do it if people think it is safe, and they won't be going anywhere. I keep all my rabbits and have both the space and funds to look after all of them until well into their dotage. My rabbits don't live in hutches, they have sheds kitted out with artificial warrens made by me, with access to half an acre of garden during the day, and secure, covered runs at night. they live communally, so live as natural a life as possible for domestic animals.
But I do see where you are going with your question!
Fidgets mum

That sounds brilliant accommodation. You should upload some pics. :)

Many people on this forum choose to rescue, so you may not find many people able to answer your questions as our bunnies tend to be neutered. This is an excellent thread which may be helpful though:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...re-considering-breeding-then-please-read-this

There are many thousands of rabbits in rescue looking for homes, so I personally would advise against breeding, and if you are looking to take on more bunnies to go to a rescue centre instead :).

As you can see from my reply to Alvins Mum, i already have several rabbits (18 at the moment to be precise) and they are all from two family groups. I have considered taking from rescue centres, but my main group has a very dominant doe, that won't accept outsiders. We tried it once and she nearly killed the poor little thing. I do contribute financially to a couple of local rescues, and we do foster on a short term basis for people ( holidays, bereavement that sort of thing), so I am aware of the problems rescue centres face.

Aww if you have the space and funds for a full litter if it was me and I had funds and space I would go to a rescue and adopt 6/7 bunnys that have been left in rescues for ages and are already spayed/neutered vaccinated and wormed :thumb::)

You can't change the world by saving one animal
But for that one animal
You can change its world :love:

I don't want to be rude, or come across as rude... but why do you want to breed them? Why can you not rescue a few to join your warren?

There's sooo many rabbit in rescue / waittin to go into rescue, all different sizes, shapes, colours, breeds etc

:thumb:

Hi - no you don't come across as rude at all. It is a very good question and one that I have answered (hopefully) in another bit of this post. As you are probably aware, rabbits can be very territorial, and one of my older does is a right cow if you try to introduce a non family member, but I try to do my bit for rescues where possible.

I'm sure someone will come along with a definite answer but iirc it can be dangerous for both mother and kits. If you're confident in your vet's knowledge of bunnies you could phone and ask there while waiting for a response on here.

I'd love to see some photos of your housing, it sounds amazing :D

I'm sure someone will come along with a definite answer but iirc it can be dangerous for both mother and kits. If you're confident in your vet's knowledge of bunnies you could phone and ask there while waiting for a response on here.

It would be highly dangerous for mum. Likely the kits would come out suffocated and probably 'pencil kits', if they came out at all.

I would suggest reading the link already given to you, and if yu're serious about breeding then follow those guidelines and do it properly, with a mentor, who can teach you how to 'mate up' a doe responsibly. Anything else is not sufficient and dangerous for all involved.

My Vet is very good, but admits herself that rabbits are a challenge. I have to see her tonight with one of our cats (yep, I have them too and the rabbits scare the living daylights out of them!) so will have a chat.
Thanks to all of you - I admire anyone who takes on a rescued animal no matter what it is. All of our cats over the years have been strays, thrown out by previous owners because of health problems, so I understand why you all feel strongly about breeding. It isn't something that should be entered into lightly or with no research.

The hips in rabbits don't fuse - I think you're confusing rabbits with guinea-pigs!

However, at 2 years old, ie middle-age for a Frenchy, this is rather old for a first litter so I would strongly advise against it, even if both potential parents are of breeding standard.

If you're absolutely set on it, there's nothing we can do, but you wont get breeding advice on here

Is the 'dominant doe' who wont accept outsiders spayed? If not then it's no wonder she's aggressive towards certain rabbits, spaying not only makes males and females friendlier, cleaner, less territorial, and much much more accepting of other rabbits but the females have an 80% chance of developing uterine cancer if not spayed

It does sound like you have an amazing set up but it seems a shame to breed when you could either be giving your current rabbits more space, or giving amazing homes to some rescue rabbits who will have never experienced such amazing accommodation and quality of life

Also how far back do you know the lineage of the two you plan on breeding? I've seen some disasters from people who've bred two rabbits they've gotten from very reputable breeders, or even ones they thought they really knew the lineage of, and unfortunately the two have been a terrible match and resulted in a litter with severe genetic abnormalities and underlying health problems

I really hope you change your mind but if not good luck I hope they all end up healthy

It would be highly dangerous for mum. Likely the kits would come out suffocated and probably 'pencil kits', if they came out at all.

I would suggest reading the link already given to you, and if yu're serious about breeding then follow those guidelines and do it properly, with a mentor, who can teach you how to 'mate up' a doe responsibly. Anything else is not sufficient and dangerous for all involved.

With respect, i am fully aware of how to breed successfully and responsibly in younger rabbits, and it is because I am aware that her age may be against her that I have asked such an emotive question on this site. As explained, I have no intention of doing anything that may harm her or any kits should she become pregnant. My animals are more important to me than my husband or any other person I know, so i do resent the implication that I would not "do it properly" or have my animals best interest at heart.

If you're absolutely set on it, there's nothing we can do, but you wont get breeding advice on here

Is the 'dominant doe' who wont accept outsiders spayed? If not then it's no wonder she's aggressive towards certain rabbits, spaying not only makes males and females friendlier, cleaner, less territorial, and much much more accepting of other rabbits but the females have an 80% chance of developing uterine cancer if not spayed

It does sound like you have an amazing set up but it seems a shame to breed when you could either be giving your current rabbits more space, or giving amazing homes to some rescue rabbits who will have never experienced such amazing accommodation and quality of life

Also how far back do you know the lineage of the two you plan on breeding? I've seen some disasters from people who've bred two rabbits they've gotten from very reputable breeders, or even ones they thought they really knew the lineage of, and unfortunately the two have been a terrible match and resulted in a litter with severe genetic abnormalities and underlying health problems

I really hope you change your mind but if not good luck I hope they all end up healthy

Hi - all my other does are spayed, and apart from this new buck, all my boys are castrated too. The doe I speak of has always been very protective of her family and just won't accept other rabbits, hence the reason that we have two family groups in separate runs already. As to lineage, I bought my original doe from my neighbour, who had been breeding for 13 years, so I don't know how many great great greats you cna go back, but she knew what she was doing, and chose her breeding does and bucks very carefully for colour and health primarily. None of my rabbits have health problems, apart from one adopted ex pets at home dwarf lop who is a house bunny, who suffers from recurrent abcesses, and as such has to have constant medical treatment. I have my doubts that breeding from her is a good idea, and most probably wont go ahead with it, as her wellbeing is more important to me than more kits. I just needed other peoples advice before making up my mind.

The hips in rabbits don't fuse - I think you're confusing rabbits with guinea-pigs!

However, at 2 years old, ie middle-age for a Frenchy, this is rather old for a first litter so I would strongly advise against it, even if both potential parents are of breeding standard.

Hi - this hip thing has confused me I confess. i understand that ginnys hips fuse completely, so have never quite understood the principle in rabbits!
Yes, both parents are breed standard, but that wouldn't be an issue as the kits wouldn't be sold or for showing. i am coming to the conclusio that she is too old, and should just be allowed to graze in peace, tho' :)

Back