• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any advice when bun gets spooked?

Jenson

Mama Doe
Last night Jenson (indoor bunny) suddenly got really spooked, ran into his cage and crashed round it and came flying back out into his run where he sat on high alert thumping. I'm pretty sure there was a fox outside as I had heard one earlier in the evening.
The flight response is scary as I know he's proper spooked, I know it's an important instinct to run but he's safe and has places to hide but he doesn't.
I sat up with him talking to him telling him that he was safe and indoors but he doesn't understand I just hoped my voice would help. He did stop thumping so I sat up in the sofa for bit longer till he settled down more (ears not as far forward, slightly more relaxed posture).

Anyone have any suggestions for what else might help if it happens again? (i hate foxes, don't think any have been around for ages).

We've only had it twice I think and are still clueless as to what caused it. We just spoke to him and stayed close by until he settled, I think that's all you can do really.

Depends on the rabbit - when rupert gets freaked out, he needs to be able to see me, and tia to calm down.... he needs me to talk to him (and give pellets :roll: ) or he doesn't calm down - tia on the other hand, needs to know shes not alone, but we need to stay at a good distance (not ideal if theres a killer cat trying to get her!).... Tia actually freaked out last night - started thumping (tia NEVER thumps) - i think there was a cat or fox at the patio doors

My Lola did this and it was terrifying so I can sympathise. She was throwing herself round her indoor cage even though the door was open. Then remembered she could get out and threw herself round the living room, crashing into walls, doors, before running over near my shopping bag and flipped on her side inside it and all I could see was a bit of her side through the opening of the bag. It was as if she was knocked out. My reaction was to shout OMG she's dying, Lola no!!! to which the children burst into tears, then I did, it was awful. I scooped her out & rang the vet saying I was bringing her in and he gave her something for shock. I'm now terrified of anything that will potentially set her off again. Neighbour doing DIY, or the vacuum etc.

I've lost track of the amount of times I've heard one of them thumping, gone in bunny room to see what's up and there's been a cat staring in at them through the windows.. :evil:

I remember once my neighbours dog chewed it's way through the wooden fence and ended up in my garden, the buns were going crazy! I was so stressed out because they were getting so stressed I had to stick bedsheets to the windows so they couldn't see the massive bull terrier staring at them and pawwing at the windows :(
I just tend to sit in the pen with them, stroke whoever is on high alert and talk to them reassuring them that they're safe :oops: It can take a while but eventually they chill out.. I then go around everyone giving noserubs and a little treat.

I've bought some of that sticky frosted paper to stick on the bottom of the windows so fingers crossed that'll help! Atleast the cats won't be able to see them!

You cant stop it. He'll do what he feels he needs to do. Biscuits even worse if he sees/smells/hears a predator as he defends Ginger.

As long as you have provided him with a safe environment, you'll just have to do what you have done this time - you did well, talking to them in a soft tone, in my opinion, certainly helps.

Thanks for all the replies. I always get up when he thumps in the night and go and talk to him. If i think it's nothing much I just ask him whats up! It's not usually like last night where he flies around crashing first. It's reassuring to know I'm doing the same thing as you guys. I agree that to keep talking helps and then slowly onto nose rubs and a little food and then sat back for a bit to give him space but still be right there. Poor fluffyhead.
Luckily nothing can see him (or he see them). Could happen when we're at my parents as we set him up in their dining room and he's near doors but I hang something at the back of his cage so he's hidden and they don't tend to get foxes (touch wood).
He's been flopped out on the floor today :love: I got some good pics yesterday so will post those when I can get photo bucket to behave (won't work on an iPad so need to boot up the laptop)

Newbabybuns, sorry you had such a scary experience! Rushed scary trips to the vets are awful!
I've tried to get Jenson used to some noises, eg the vacuum cleaner. Slowly bit by bit. To be honest he's got heaps better as he's got older (he's two and a half). I talk to him like nothings going on or that something is just annoying because I think they pick up on our moods, so if I'm calm he's more likely to be calm (easy to say, harder to do I know). Good luck.

Back