• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where can I get a Harlequin Mini Lop

KRA_MiniLops

New Kit
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I am looking to get a Harlequin mini lop doe and looking for someone who breeds them within a 50 mile radius to myself (Bury, Lancashire UK near Manchester).

I won't be able to purchase her until April on wards - just need to sort out housing for her and my other 2 mini lops so they can live together in a larger home

Can you please either post here or pm their details. I really want a harlequin

Many Thanks x

I doubt you'll be able to find someone with those connections on here, but would bet there will be one around in a rescue somewhere.

None of these are harlequin, but very cute, and not all rescues will have their bunnies on there.

I'm sure I seen a pair of harlequin mini lops in a rescue post recently - infact, I know i did cos i wanted them! They were in Kent i think - but bunny runs can be organised :D

All the rabbits in rescues though will be neutered.

Are you looking for a doe to breed from?

Yes if possible, would possibly consider a pair (doe and buck) obviously from different parentage so may need 2 breeders to achieve this.
Wouldn't mind myself and daughters possibly showing them if they were of good quality too but not necessarily 1st priority.

Yes if possible, would possibly consider a pair (doe and buck) obviously from different parentage so may need 2 breeders to achieve this.
Wouldn't mind myself and daughters possibly showing them if they were of good quality too but not necessarily 1st priority.

What would you do with all the Kits ?

Hi, welcome to the forum. :wave:

To be honest, as this is such a pro-rescue forum you're not going to find much advice on finding bunnies for breeding or for buying on this forum. But do hang around and discuss bunnies in general with us. :wave:

I got a beautiful Harlequin mini lop girl from "rescue" Only a youngster, vaccinated and neutered... :thumb:
Can I ask why do you want to breed?

I am not a breeder (although I can see that you might think that due to my name on here - all the usual bunny names were taken so I took the initials of my 3 kids and mini lops cos I love them best ;) ) but I already have 2 bunnies and wanted another 1-2. I really like the harlequin and really wanted one.

I have a couple of family members and 2 friends who are after rabbits so I was going to breed her once or twice at most and then neuter all (incl any babies not taken by family/friends) and they all live happily together in my new big shed and run (which will be erected over the next month or so (hence April date).

I completely understand what you say regarding rescuing but I don't think I'm going to be able to find show standard bunny that way and my girls and I were hoping to do a little showing with her.

I hope you all understand why I chose this way and not judge me too harshly :)

I am not a breeder (although I can see that you might think that due to my name on here - all the usual bunny names were taken so I took the initials of my 3 kids and mini lops cos I love them best ;) ) but I already have 2 bunnies and wanted another 1-2. I really like the harlequin and really wanted one.

I have a couple of family members and 2 friends who are after rabbits so I was going to breed her once or twice at most and then neuter all (incl any babies not taken by family/friends) and they all live happily together in my new big shed and run (which will be erected over the next month or so (hence April date).

I completely understand what you say regarding rescuing but I don't think I'm going to be able to find show standard bunny that way and my girls and I were hoping to do a little showing with her.

I hope you all understand why I chose this way and not judge me too harshly :)

I wont judge you but I dont understand your choice, there are just too many thousands of Rabbits in need of homes already :cry: Personally I would want to offer some of them a loving home rather than bringing more into the world.

Maybe you could not bother with the breeding but and just get one from a breeder and let your friends get one from the same breeder? Rather than breeding more buns yourself? Just an idea :thumb:

I got Bella from a breeder, i was going to go back to the breeder to get my second but after coming on here and see how many are needing homes i rescued my second after seeing him on a preloved advert.

Obviously it's entirely up to you what you do with your rabbits but showing can be quite stressful for rabbits, what with all the strange noises and smells, being taken away from their group and going in the car, getting handled, being in a confined space for extended periods of time, etc. Some cope with it quite well but some do not.

It may also cause problems with your bonded group if one rabbit goes away for a bit and comes back smelling of other rabbits.

Definitely do a lot of research before you get a bunny for showing, and I'd advise going to some shows and taking a look around at the conditions etc to make sure you're happy with taking along one of your own rabbits.

Obviously it's entirely up to you what you do with your rabbits but showing can be quite stressful for rabbits, what with all the strange noises and smells, being taken away from their group and going in the car, getting handled, being in a confined space for extended periods of time, etc. Some cope with it quite well but some do not.

It may also cause problems with your bonded group if one rabbit goes away for a bit and comes back smelling of other rabbits.

Definitely do a lot of research before you get a bunny for showing, and I'd advise going to some shows and taking a look around at the conditions etc to make sure you're happy with taking along one of your own rabbits.

Good idea ^^^^^^

Good idea. After seeing the awful conditions at the Harrogate show last year (foolishly I thought the burgess show was totally an animal welfare event) I would never ever condone it. Most had no hay, no water, in tiny cages with wire floors and you could tell how scared and depressed they were, just sat staring into space or the more active ones like the hares were pacing their tiny enclosure. I cried when I got in the car for all those bunnies :(

I just wanted to say there are some show standard bunnies in rescues, mostly where people have taken on from breeders and not wanted them. Its worth looking round as someone mentioned there can be bunny runs made to get a bun to you. Also, with space to take on more than one, you could have a mini herd of rescue bunnies!!! I had a harli dwarf lop, he was adorable and very special although thankfully not of the flatter faced show standard as unfortunately they very often have dental issues. The setup sounds so perfect it would be nice to take on some bunnies in need of a home, especially if you have friends that would want bunnies too.

Getting one with personality known would also mean a better pet for the children, you could find if it was one that was docile enough to tolerate some fun shows (my previous bunny would have, but my current ones would not). If you do find a breeder you would like one from, please question them on dental history of parents and the personality of the bunnies to make sure they are right.

Good luck in your search, I would love to be able to have a little bunny herd!

It might be worth reading this about how to breed responsibly. You do sound like you're on the right track, but you never know what helpful hints or info you might pick up.

I won't judge you; I've done it. However, mine had tragic consequences when I lost one doe during kindling and another due to post birth complications. It's not all happy and fluffy babies so do be aware that as well as losing kits (which is almost expected), you could also lose your precious bunnies too.

I now have a completely different perspective and focus only on the needs of my rabbits and what is in their best interests, but I can relate to where you're coming from as well, having been there myself.

you're certainly more brave than I am, I'm not sure I could cope with the stress of breeding :lol: but I do understand the appeal of raising kits of your own, when I fostered cats I had the best time when I had kittens from 4/5 weeks old and raised them until 10 weeks :love:

you do sound very responsible, and if you really want to show then a breeder is probably going to be your first port of call (I do know a rung rabbit who came through a rescue though, how ever I don't think the rescue would be impressed if they found out you were showing). I do think though that going to a breeder and sending your friends to that same breeder would be better, as long as you're very very sure they're a good breeder.

Rescue would always be my first choice but it isn't for every one :wave:

Thank you all for the advice and information offered, greatly appreciated x

There's certain alot to think about and I'm really having second thoughts on the showing now, as I want all my bunnies to be happy and live together with as little upset as possible.

I may also consider to take on a rescue or 2 on top of the breeders one if I go to a breeder.

What are the stages of adoption and min requirements the want before they allow you to take a bunny or two home?

All advice/hints/info is most welcomed :)
(i think you have converted me to the good side ;) lol )

Back