• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Friends for bunnys with Dysbosis

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, I'm not really sure if it should be in health, diet or bonding. :oops:

Our new addition Poppy has tummy issues and is on a hay only diet.

Ideally I'd like to bond her with one of my pairs as I don't want a lone bun, but is this a good idea?

My other buns love their veg and pellets so I wouldn't want to take these away from them and whilst I can obviously seperate myself at feeding times what do I do when buns are in boarding? Is it fair to ask them to go to the same trouble?

I don't see why it can't be done. I've done it with bonding Roger with Sandy and also Autumn with Flame and Wish (with Sandy, Flame and Wish all struggling with dysbiosis). I adjusted all their diets and i don't think the other bunnies miss out. I use Protexin Profibre pellets as the pellets and found this worked nicely. For the trio I then really gradually introduced mature SS in and that worked too. Nothing wrong with a bit of trial and error.

Do you know the cause of the dysbiosis?

No she is still having tests etc from the vets, but it seems to be anything too high in protein that sets her off. On a hay only diet you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with her.

At the mo she is on metacam to see if its a mobility issue causing her not to eat them, but she's a live wire and doesn't appear to have any issues there.

I'm panacuring her aswell as a precaution.

What happens if you introduce the protexin profibre?

But essentially, on a good hay only diet (i.e. good quality hay) any bunny can be fine. You might also find, once she has been settled, that there are fresh foods she likes and can tolerate (apply leaves, hawthorn, bramble, things like that) which would allow a bonded friend to have fresh too, just different from before. You might also find the happiness changes and improves her stomach too.

She can tolerate profibre pellets in small quantitys. I tried some plaintain but that was a definate no no, but I'm hoping to grow raspberry bushes again this year and was suggested strawberry leaves may also be one to try. I'm also hoping to try her on some other wild plants when I can grow some in the warmer weather, so hopefully we will find something she can have. Sadly I don't know where I can forage any hawthorn from but will buy some if any goes on sale on RU again.

She can tolerate profibre pellets in small quantitys. I tried some plaintain but that was a definate no no, but I'm hoping to grow raspberry bushes again this year and was suggested strawberry leaves may also be one to try. I'm also hoping to try her on some other wild plants when I can grow some in the warmer weather, so hopefully we will find something she can have. Sadly I don't know where I can forage any hawthorn from but will buy some if any goes on sale on RU again.

I'll go and check the field down the road Amy, there was LOADS there in the summer, may be some left. How about Bramble leaves? They may help too, still quite a few of those around.

Again I'm not sure where to forage although we live in quite a rural area most of the fields as such are privately owned but i don't know by whom so cant ask their permission.

Back